Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2010, 08:49 PM

Smile 4 AES-EBU pairs alternative input to HD cards?

I have heard it rumoured that you can use : 4 AES-EBU pairs on inputs and outputs to and from a protools Hd Card (with the addition of some type of cable?). For instance, connecting a preamp with AES/EBU ins/outs into the HD Card. Evidently the cards are essentially AES/EBU, or something like that. Could anyone confirm or dispel this notion.Thanks.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:33 AM

Default Re: 4 AES-EBU pairs alternative input to HD cards?

Highly unlikely. There's a whole other bunch of data going down the cable from the HD Card to the I/O.

A lot of 3rd Party A/D converters have an optional output card to provide an interface to HD ( Apogee, Lynx, Mytek etc etc) If it was as easy as just wiring up the right cable, they wouldn't need those cards....
Old 12-06-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugonaut View Post
I have heard it rumoured that you can use : 4 AES-EBU pairs on inputs and outputs to and from a protools Hd Card (with the addition of some type of cable?). For instance, connecting a preamp with AES/EBU ins/outs into the HD Card. Evidently the cards are essentially AES/EBU, or something like that. Could anyone confirm or dispel this notion.Thanks.
Nothing I know of. other than the obvious interfaces (Omni, 192, some apogee, etc...) will plug directly into the card..... and work. Definitely never heard of a Digilink to AES breakout cable. sb
Old 12-06-2010, 10:37 PM

Yeah, I did'nt think so! Thanks.