Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2003, 01:11 AM

Default Microsoft vs General Motors - MUST READ

Microsoft vs. General Motors
At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon".
In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating:
If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, be reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single warning light that reads, "This Car Has Performed an Illegal Operation

7. The airbag system, before deploying, would ask,." "Are you sure?"

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn off the engine.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:09 AM

Default Re: Microsoft vs General Motors - MUST READ

If there was an 11 I would have been killed by laughter! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

38, 39 what ever it takes.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:52 AM

Hello, and welcome to four years ago [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2003, 09:21 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

That's friggin' hilarious...and Siberian...welcome to right now! A lot of this stuff still happens (though not as much as ME, thank Dog)...someone at GM (w/ a great sense of humor) must be using Macs!

I can tell you this for sure, though. I live in Central IL (yuck...) and Caterpillar (the tractor manufacturer), which is based here, uses a lot of Windows machines in their general office duties/ environment, BUT in their Research & Development Dept., and in their Design Lab, they use Macs exclusively. Hmm... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2003, 09:43 AM

Really? They design all of those big machines in apple works? WOW now I really do have respect for apple users. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2003, 02:54 PM

A lot of industries are excruciatingly slow in keeping up with changes in computer tech.
I recently had to deliver some data to the F.A.A. and they couldn't open it -because they were still usng Win 95. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2003, 10:35 AM

GREAT !!!!!! HA HA !!!

This makes me think of something. You and I both know that Microsoft will have another OS in the next year or so. We should all boycott it and stay with WinXP and Win2000 as a way of saying "You aint gonna force me to do this all over again every 2 yrs!!! I just now got my XP/2k system working and updated and I want to stay with it for a while!!!"

But I didn't understand why the dig at Macs. I mean what was said was true but did they say something about GM as well?
Old 03-09-2003, 11:37 AM

Haa haa haa haa haa haa hee hee hee hee haa haa ha hee hee ha he he he mmmph [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2003, 02:12 PM

No one is forcing you to buy a new OS. Thats your own choice.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:55 PM

Actually, that has been around for a while, but it is still great! I got that in an email but I lost it and hadn't been able to find it. Thanks
Actually, now you can put "wheel adaptors" on your Mac so that you can drive on all of the roads, it just makes your car a little slower. Of course I am talking about Virtual PC which is a actually a pretty good program if your computer is fast enough.
But anyway, thats what I like about both Apple and Digi, they are both more concerned with reliability than just shere speed. It is good that with XP, MS is finallly getting pretty good stability as well. I use XP a lot at work and it is almost as stable as OS X.
But I still like OS X better anyway. but to each his own.