Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2017, 04:41 PM

Default Time for a new PAID HD12 paper reference manual

Avid I just love the PT8 paper reference manual, I couldn't even imagine learning PTHD without it. Please make a new reference manual that is up to date. I know it would have to be a paid for item and not included in new system purchases but think about it if your willing to shell out 12/15 grand on a system you dont think they wouldn't buy the book that shows them to use it. I really think people would want this , I know I do . Even the HD software is complex enough for a serious studio professional, hobbyist or student to want this product and would be more than happy to pay for it.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Time for a new PAID HD12 paper reference manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordingfun View Post
Avid I just love the PT8 paper reference manual, I couldn't even imagine learning PTHD without it. Please make a new reference manual that is up to date. I know it would have to be a paid for item and not included in new system purchases but think about it if your willing to shell out 12/15 grand on a system you dont think they wouldn't buy the book that shows them to use it. I really think people would want this , I know I do . Even the HD software is complex enough for a serious studio professional, hobbyist or student to want this product and would be more than happy to pay for it.
Why not take the pdf of the manual to a print center and have them print it and put it in a binder? Actually I'm glad to have it as a pdf - makes searching a lot easier. I don't know of anyone that does a full printed manual anymore. To expensive for a commercial printer to print out and do a proper binding for the relatively small run not to mention any printed manual becomes out of date when the next revision happens.

Another way to get a manual is to put the pdf on an iPad or such and there are programs that will let you make notations on said document.

QAPLA!
Old 10-14-2017, 06:28 PM

Avid, please don't ever print a paper manual again. I want my documentation up to date and delivered at lowest cost to you and to the environment.

To me the user experience of using PDF documentation is far better than print, especially if used on a iPad in iBooks. It is searchable, much more compact, more portable, easier to keep up to date, much more likely to be with me when needed, etc. And as pointed out already, if I wanted printed documentation I could easily have it bound from the PDF.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Avid, please don't ever print a paper manual again. I want my documentation up to date and delivered at lowest cost to you and to the environment.

To me the user experience of using PDF documentation is far better than print, especially if used on a iPad in iBooks. It is searchable, much more compact, more portable, easier to keep up to date, much more likely to be with me when needed, etc. And as pointed out already, if I wanted printed documentation I could easily have it bound from the PDF.
dont get me wront we need a pdf to
Old 10-14-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
No more paper ever again !!!

Save the Polarbear and the Rainforest. Skip everything paper unless absolutely necessary

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-14-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:

There was no question about that. I do not want Avid wasting any resources on producing paper doc. If you want it you can print it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 08:00 PM

Given the sheer number of pages, I find it more convenient to find and print relevant pages for what I need at that moment in time Even when I had the full printed manual, I rarely got too far with it

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-15-2017, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Time for a new PAID HD12 paper reference manual

Other things to think about with a printed manual: with traditional soft cover book binding it's impossible to get the book to lay open and flat unless you put some weight on it. And that brings up yet another drawback for a printed manual - the sheer weight. With numbers of people going portable with just a laptop and interface the manual would end up weighing more than the recording setup

There was/is a saying in aerospace: when the weight of the documentation meets and/or exceeds the weight of the project then you're ready to go. With the modern conveniences we have now there's no need for that anymore.

Heck even Digital Performer who used to have a printed manual which also contained the activation code for the program stopped providing a paper manual with DP9. The code is now on a postcard and the manual is a searchable up-to-date pdf that gets installed with every new program update.

QAPLA!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:58 AM

Back when I was first learning PT, I printed out the entire manual (luckily I figured out how to do double sided printing on my laser printer), but even back then the manual was nearly 900 pages. I "sort of" read through the entire thing during the evenings, but since I knew nothing about DAWs, reading the manual in isolation, without having PT up and running on the computer, probably only gave me a general idea of what I was in for.

Since then I rely entirely on the pdf version. I can pull it up on one monitor while a session is up on the other and figure out the answer to whatever question I have. Same goes for the manuals for my various 3rd party plugins. For Auto Tune, I only have the printed manual, but it is not that large, and I probably could find a pdf version online if necessary.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
For Auto Tune, I only have the printed manual, but it is not that large, and I probably could find a pdf version online if necessary.
Ask and ye shall receive my friend. Here direct from the Antares site is this page with links to what looks like all the manuals in pdf form: http://www.antarestech.com/download/product-manuals.php

QAPLA!