Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-1999, 06:35 AM

Default SoundReplacer,seen it ,used it and it sux..why??

Because coders still use the archadic Open/Save dialog Box API's.Why can't these guys get with it an use the newer Navigation Services API.Navigation Services were designed for a reason.And it is far easier to call than the old s*hitty API.

I mean in Sound Replacer u go to open up a file and the Dialog box can't be moved or resized and u can't audition the audio files.Imagine how much easier it makes life for users that can browse for files with dialogs that 1)look like they are apart of the MacOS Platinum UI, 2)can be moved,3)can be resized and 4) can be prieviewed and 5) offer simple, functional ,standard navigation.

Jesus u guy's, 2 bit sharware apps have utilised Navigation serviced about a week after it was in the OS,that was over a year ago.

Why do developers expect us to pay big bux for poorly thought out plug ins.

Whats even more stupid is that Soundreplacer creates a folder in the DAE plugin settings folder to store the audio files.This folder should be created in the same folder as the session ,probably inside the audio files folder NOT on the boot drive!!!

TaRGุN
Old 10-05-1999, 08:08 AM

Default Re: SoundReplacer,seen it ,used it and it sux..why??

Just saw a demo of Soundreplacer yesterday, and that was one of the biggest things I noticed - why is there no "play" button in the import dialogue box?? You want to replace the sound, but there's no way to preview it in the plugin. Also, why import these sounds separately? It would seem like the easiest way to do this would be to just import the audio file into your session, then select one of the files you already have. The plugin seems cool, but still a little half-baked.

Mike
Old 10-05-1999, 10:15 AM

But does it do what it's supposed to do effectively? I totally agree with you about the interface issues - I'm a nut about well designed interfaces. But that aside, does SoundReplacer work?

Re: placing audio files in the DAE folder - this doesn't seem right to me either. Digi probably assumed that everyone would be using the same samples for SoundReplacer over and over again. Which, come to think of it, is probably true! But still, they should offer the option of saving in the DAE folder or the session folder, just like plug-in settings.

Re: using a file from within the session. Also a good idea, but again I imagine that Digi wasn't thinking that people would be using session sounds but a stock library of samples. I dunno. I think it would be a nice option to add to the next version, definately.
Old 10-05-1999, 11:17 AM

We intentionally avoided using the Navigation Services API because it is not built into versions of the MacOS earlier than 8.5. 2 bit shareware apps do not have to worry about such compatibility issues.
You should complain instead to Apple for not easing the transition by giving the new look to the old APIs.

Previewing of sample files was reluctantly not supported because the Digidesign plugin architecture makes it extremely difficult to implement this feature. Read this as "it would require hideous, unreliable hacks".

You do not need to store sample files in the DAE folder, you may store them wherever you wish. However, the files will be referenced by an absolute path. This means they will not be found if they are moved along with the session. This is clearly less than ideal and is an unfortunate result of the fact that plugins have no way of knowing where the session file is located. Storing sample files in the DAE folder ensures that they will always be found.

Audio cannot be selected from the session because the plugin API and Pro Tools do not provide any support for this. We would have liked to have added this feature.

When you pay "big bux" for SoundReplacer you are primarily paying for the effort that went into developing an algorithm that can detect and trigger on drum hits with virtually zero timing slop. This enables one to mix the original and replaced drums without any comb-filtering or flamming.

Frederick Umminger
Digidesign Plugin Engineer
Old 10-05-1999, 05:22 PM

I still think Sound Replacer could a have been thought out alot better and offer more functionality.It's almost there but still primitive.

I am appreciative however,U are reading and listening Fredrick.

What this plug should do is this:

U open up a drum loop in to the session,put it on a track, select it and open the plug in.In the plug in there should be a sensitivity slider that detects audio level ala Recycle.Once the slider has been sufficiently raised and the desired drum hits are partitioned ,the user should be able to double click on each of the individual drum hits and the open/close dialog will present it self.Here the user can select another drum hit for ones collection ,this sound would now replace the other origional drum hit.The user would do this for every drum hit that is in the loop and then use the plug in they way it is now,with all the other funcionality.After previewing the user should have the option to have this new loop placed on another track.Or each individual drum hit on its own coresponding track,that way the user can perform the usual end of drum hit trimmings.

This would be way way better than the current implementation of Sound Replacer.

TaRGุN
Old 10-05-1999, 06:59 PM

Frederick

Any response or comments on the thread Sound Replacer bugs... I started in this forum which lists some real bugs with Sound Replacer? Any ETA for a fix?

Thanks.

Rail

------------------
Recording Engineer
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-05-1999, 09:46 PM

Targon,

Cool idea but Soundreplacer was created to be the fastest drum trigger sampler on the market.

I have had to do a lot of sample replacement for album projects and this plug-in is saving me hours of hand flying in samples for real drums.

If you want a Soundreplacer that is for stereo or mono loops that is a different animal. Sounds like you don't deal with alot of problematic multitrack drums.

The ReCycle Soundreplacer is a nice idea too but come on lighten up a little.

Soundreplacer is very cool for what it does and is worth my while. Cheers Digi
Old 10-06-1999, 04:34 AM

Heard of Sample search? I sent this email to it's creator Mark Gilbert of Gallery. I havent even got SoundReplacer yet, guys do the features described below sound usefull? (and explane why please) Best to you all,
Jules
--------------------------------------------
Q - Hi Mark, any ideas how I can utilse Sample Search with SoundReplacer?

A - You can search with SampleSearch, audition, then SHOW the file in the
finder. Then, if you have installed a shareware item called 'Click there it
is!', you will be able to click outside of the sound replacer dialog box as
it asks for the sample, and essentially 'pick up' the file which was
revealed in the finder by SampleSearch.
----------------------------------------------
Hope this is of some use to you all.- J

[This message has been edited by Julian Standen (edited 10-06-99).]
Old 10-06-1999, 06:09 AM

Targon, I think the reason is simple. Making new routines for plug-ins so that they can see file paths a play audio files would require a lot of work. Unfortunatly this would sell no (or hardle any) extra soft or hardware. It seems like that is the only thing that really matters to Digi, otherwise things like that, a new file path for PT, Stereo tracks, etc. etc. would have been in PT long long ago.
Old 10-06-1999, 10:18 AM

Trombino wrote:

But does it do what it's supposed to do effectively?

Yes, better than any other technique available (audio trigger & MIDI trigger). I ran a test on a kick replacement with about 350 kicks in the song. MIDI trigger had so many flams due to trigger delay and variability I gave up pretty quickly. Audio trigger (DM-Pro) was better but requires time correction before or after, and about 10% of the hits had audible flams. SoundReplacer had ONE!

As posted in another thread, there are some bugs, but it DOES do what its supposed to, very well.