Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2016, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Advice on OS type & software

Thanks guys, very useful advice. The only thing that I'm having an issue with right now is finding out what has "fusion" drive and what does not.
I was already quite sure that it would be better to invest in the best mic that I can afford.
I'm considering a Macbook Pro with a reasonably large screen so a refurbished one may well be the way to go.
I am also about to move to a much quieter rural address.

Rod.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Advice on OS type & software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod4570 View Post
Thanks guys, very useful advice. The only thing that I'm having an issue with right now is finding out what has "fusion" drive and what does not.
I was already quite sure that it would be better to invest in the best mic that I can afford.
I'm considering a Macbook Pro with a reasonably large screen so a refurbished one may well be the way to go.
I am also about to move to a much quieter rural address.

Rod.
You just have to look deeper into the specifications of the dedicated Mac as it always will be said in the specs area.
However if you intend to get a more current Macbook Pro you need not worry about. There are no current Macbook Pro models with Fusion drives.

You may check out their current offers. Any of these are great, even for the use with Pro Tools 12 and they all got the super fast Apple Flash drives built in.
http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/...macbook_pro/15

If you don't want to use any external drive for your music recordings in the future, even with Pro Tools, you may buy one with a 512GB Flash drive or a 1TB. If you could afford it, the 1TB Flash drives are fantastic and you probably never will need any external hard drive anymore. Even doing larger projects. Anyway also the 512GB Flash drive will be a super fast and convenient solution.

The 256GB Flash drive will be ok for the system alone and just a few tracks but if you will record a bit more and a bit larger sessions, it will not suffice at the end of the day. Even more because you must not fill up a Flash drive more than about 85% of it's storage space. If you do this for a longer period of time the Flash drive will slow down and die early.

However if you do not intend to make even midsize sessions (or will use a fast external drive for those kinda sessions then), the 256GB will be alright as well. They all come with 16GB Ram memory already which is perfect and each one of the list offers great, current technology. Definitely worth the money as well as being future proof.

Btw a good mic is always a good thing to have but there are good useable mics available for relatively low prices nowadays.
If you don't like the Scarlett mic -which would be alright for your applications for sure imo, it's a nice one- you may check out these (there are great mics for much more money available out there of course but I thought you would want a complete decent music recording system for 2000.- at the max.).

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/record...one-vocal-pack

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/record...ser-microphone

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/record...ser-mic-nickel

Or 2 for stereo recordings (in this case don't forget to order 2 mic stands+cables).
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/record...o-matched-pair

But I have to mention it again, I think the Scarlett starter kit is great value for the money and offering decent quality. You won't regret it for sure and it saves you enough money for one of these really nice Macbook Pro models, even one with a 512GB or 1TB Flash drive.

Anyway, whatever you decide to do finally, the best of success to you and lots of fun with your new gear!

Cheers,

VRW

Last edited by VRW; 03-25-2016 at 09:55 AM.