Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 04-21-2013, 08:03 PM

Default Pro Tools product questions

Hi, I have a few questions. Would appreciate any help.

1) It seems that only a boxed version is available in the Avid store. Is there a downloadable version?

2) If it's only available boxed, is there a variation without an iLok? If I test-drive the trial first, presumably I would already have an iLok.

3) I understand that PT can be installed on multiple computers and will run on any such computer with the iLok inserted. Is this also the case for the trial? I'm planning to test it on a PC and Mac.

4) I understand that it's free to upgrade from PT10 to PT11. Is this also the case with the Academic (Student) version?

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools product questions

I assume you're talking about v.10 so....

1)Yes, if you're looking for a digital copy you can get one from a Avid qualified reseller.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PT11Soft-e/

2) See no. 1

3)AFAIK The trial is the same as the full version. Pro Tools can be installed on both OS platforms. But you can only run one at a time for obvious reasons unless you purchase 2 licenses and want to run them simultaneously.

4) Its free for a limited time from April 7,2013 through its official release date (rumored to be May 28th). Yes if you buy a student version now you will get a free upgrade. Understand that student versions no longer carry the 4 years of free upgrades anymore, going forward it will be a $99 upgrade for a full numbered release. If you bought a Pro Tools 10 student version with 4 yrs of free upgrades before Avid announced Pro Tools 11 (there is some debate on when they capped the 4 year deal) they will still honour the deal.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PT10SoftStu/
Old 04-23-2013, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatamas View Post
I assume you're talking about v.10 so....

1)Yes, if you're looking for a digital copy you can get one from a Avid qualified reseller.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PT11Soft-e/

2) See no. 1

3)AFAIK The trial is the same as the full version. Pro Tools can be installed on both OS platforms. But you can only run one at a time for obvious reasons unless you purchase 2 licenses and want to run them simultaneously.

4) Its free for a limited time from April 7,2013 through its official release date (rumored to be May 28th). Yes if you buy a student version now you will get a free upgrade. Understand that student versions no longer carry the 4 years of free upgrades anymore, going forward it will be a $99 upgrade for a full numbered release. If you bought a Pro Tools 10 student version with 4 yrs of free upgrades before Avid announced Pro Tools 11 (there is some debate on when they capped the 4 year deal) they will still honour the deal.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PT10SoftStu/
Cheers, yes I'm referring to PT10.

Does the boxed version entitle me to downloadable digital copies too? So if the CD is damaged, I could still download PT10 online even after it's no longer officially supported? Or is this only the case with 'digital deliveries'?

Also, I just checked the demo page and noticed there's a note that says '* Only one trial download allowed per iLok account', but I'm not sure if the asterisk is referring to just PT10 HD or also the normal PT10. I was hoping to test one for both Mac and PC: is this possible?

Last edited by cmhawke; 04-23-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: clarified last sentence
Old 04-23-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apt View Post
Cheers, yes I'm referring to PT10.

Does the boxed version entitle me to downloadable digital copies too? So if the CD is damaged, I could still download PT10 online even after it's no longer officially supported? Or is this only the case with 'digital deliveries'?

Also, I just checked the demo page and noticed there's a note that says '* Only one trial download allowed per iLok account', but I'm not sure if the asterisk is referring to just PT10 HD or also the normal PT10. I was hoping to test for both....
Yes. also,replacement dvds can be purchased at the Avid store if that was the case. When you purchase a digital copy of Pro Tools the installs are made available to your Avid account after you register your code. Same applies for a boxed version including student boxed versions.

As for demo trials of PT you are only allowed 1 demo trial per ilok account. If you have 2 different ilok accounts then it would be possible to try both native and HD. So you would have to make a decision if HD is your best option, but.. Pro Tools HD can only be obtained with a purchase of an Avid HDX or HD Native hardware package. Pro Tools HD cannot be purchased separately.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Yes. also,replacement dvds can be purchased at the Avid store if that was the case. When you purchase a digital copy of Pro Tools the installs are made available to your Avid account after you register your code. Same applies for a boxed version including student boxed versions.
Good to know.

Quote:
As for demo trials of PT you are only allowed 1 demo trial per ilok account. If you have 2 different ilok accounts then it would be possible to try both native and HD. So you would have to make a decision if HD is your best option, but.. Pro Tools HD can only be obtained with a purchase of an Avid HDX or HD Native hardware package. Pro Tools HD cannot be purchased separately.
Sorry, I should have clarified my last sentence; it was regarding your comment about multiple OS installations. What I meant is, at the moment, I wish to trial one variation of PT10 (probably non-HD) for both Mac and PC.

If the asterisk was referring to HD vs. non-HD and not the number of platforms, I'm assuming, per your comments, that with one iLok it's still possible to trial PT10 - either non-HD or HD (but not both) - on two platforms (e.g. PC and Mac). If that's the case then that's fine.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apt View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified my last sentence; it was regarding your comment about multiple OS installations. What I meant is, at the moment, I wish to trial one variation of PT10 (probably non-HD) for both Mac and PC

If the asterisk was referring to HD vs. non-HD and not the number of platforms, I'm
assuming, per your comments, that with one iLok it's still possible to trial PT10 - either non-HD or HD (but not both) - on two platforms (e.g. PC and Mac). If that's the case then that's fine
Correct. You're ok to test on both platforms with 1 ilok
The asterisk IS referring to HD vs. Native
Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Correct. You're ok to test on both platforms with 1 ilok
The asterisk IS referring to HD vs. Native
Good!

Regarding the Academic (Student) Edition:
1) If I use an academic email address for verification, can I use another email address for primary association with the product?
2) Presumably the account/billing details requested at the Avid Store don't have to match the student details? e.g. Would identit-e.com expect that?

Thanks.

Last edited by cmhawke; 04-28-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:10 PM

I cannot speak from experience, since I did not go through the identit-e process, although I do have the Pro Tools 10 boxed student edition, for me it was easy to register my activation card, I got my Pro Tools License deposited to my already created ilok account and I quickly added my new ilok 2 that came with the boxed version to my account. All of this happened the same day I got my shipment from B&Hphotovideo.com. I can't confirm if I quality for the 4 years of free upgrades (from what I understand is not all student vesions had this offer) because the ad didn't specify that is was included, but both Avid and B&H confirm I do. I will have to wait and see what happens when 11 is released.

So in answer to part of your question:
If you already created an Avid and ilok account (which I recommend you do before you buy a product) then no they do not need to be identical.

I believe the process in which you provide student verification to identit-e is a separate process that Avid is not really a part of but don't quote me on any of this, I may be wrong. Contact identit-e and ask, they have a live chat open during business hours or someone else may be able to chime in and help