Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 02:31 AM

Default Answer to your Question!

Digidesign has made drastic improvements over the years with their product line in order for us to make music. In the past, computer clock speeds were inadequate to run their programs, so they developed the Core and Accel Cards to compensate for this. Mind you, they are expensive and at that time only Record Labels could afford that type of set-up, or someone taking a second mortgage out on their home... Now, with faster computers sporting Dual Core processors and Multi-threading capabilities (something the Core/Accel Cards were designed to do from the beginning), it's only a matter of time before the "programmers" catch-up with this technology (don't hold your breath). With the release of ProTools 7, there are some added refinements to the program, but nothing that would jeopardize the sells of their HD Cord/Accel Card market! So if you can afford HD-New? Buy it! if not, Buy it USED! You'll save thousands of dollars and have one of the best music making set-ups available! Or if Digidesign lower their prices...everyone would get on-board! Leave the LE to those looking for portability or just starting out with ProTools!

Someone clerify if I'm wrong!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Answer to your Question!

I'm not sure what started this discussion (it may have been deleted) but I'm using Protools LE and very happy with it for the projects that I'm working with. The 32 tracks are fine for me but if you tell me I can have 128 tracks, I wont refuse. 96K or even 44.1K audio still works for my clients but if I can have 192K I'll take it. I've been recording and mixing for about 15 years so I don't know if I still qualify as a starter. I don't need or use it as a portable system either. I've been using Protools LE for about three years and I don't plan to go to HD or HD/Access anytime soon. My point is that I wouldn't consider Protools LE just for people who need portability or people just starting out as it works very well for some of us in a professional capacity. If Digidesign make Protools HD/HD Accel for about $1,000.00 - $2,000.00 with the processor cards and interfaces and control surfaces, I'll be amongst the first ones in line to buy it even though I'm fine without that much power. So in a way I'm disagreeing with your assessment yet agreeing that I would go to Protools HD/HD Accel if it were affordable.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-13-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Answer to your Question!

I second that. OD hit the nail on the head. I've been using since the release of 5.3, im still on LE. I realize that this is no 15 years, but its far from Beginner. Am i wrong? I use my LE system (001) for studio work, not live work. Now im not trying to be mean, or rub facts in anyones faces, but there are users who still use LE due to price mark. Why do i still use then? While it would be nice to have more than 32 tracks, its not neccesary, i'm willing to stick to 32 tracks for the fast and powerfull workflow i get from PTLE. Im not gonna sit here and complain. Im going to be upgrading to an 002 when 7 comes out so i can get 7 (and so i can have a second firewire based system). Its adds things i need while still giving me the workflow i love at a good price for a HW/SW package.
MBox2 Mini, PT 7.3
iBook G4 1.33GHz, 1GB RAM, OSX 10.4.8