Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2003, 12:56 AM

Default SAMPLETANK 2!!!!!!

IK Jason,

sorry to let the cat out this way, but if such a big announcement is mentioned in a magazine that's already hit the shelves, posting it here shouldn't be a problem, no?

Computer Music magazine #57. March 2003, page 13.

Here are a few snippets from this rather long paragraph about ST2.

-"Sampletank 2 is on the way, an update of considerable size!"

-"New 'Stretch' feature, allowing control of intonation, tempo and frequency spectrum. This is said to allow for massive flexibility and the creation of totally new sounds. Tempo and pitch can be adjusted, as can tonal carachteristics, add legate, glide, vibrato, bending, swell and tremolo..."

There's a bunch more cool stuff, but I'll skip to the last one they mention, certainly not the least....

-"you can import .wav, .aiff, Akai and Samplecell sounds directly" [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

They even post the website but upon a visit as recent as 5 minutes ago, there's no mention whatsoever of this update. The article suggests the ST2 release for second quarter this year.

I'm looking forward to ST2, as I was just going to purchase the XL package. I think a little patience will prevail!
Old 02-26-2003, 02:58 AM

Default Re: SAMPLETANK 2!!!!!!

If this means it's going to be full on sample+synthesis sampler then that's good.

If it means it's still going to just be a tone module but now you can load you're own sounds into some kind of phrase sampler patch. It's too little too late.

I love the stability of sampletank free, it's MAJOR cpu hog on a G3 like mine but it sounds good.

I was hoping for fully editable patches, EVERYTHING editable, no matter what kind of synth/tone module I want to use, I expect to be able to adjust the ADSR envelope at least!

If it means it's a full on sampler like Unity DS-1, Kontakt, Soft SampleCell, EXS-24, Mach5 etc... then it's going to be excellent.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:13 AM

i have been a xl since it came out and i love it but i wonder if my current library will be compatible also will it work with os9 as well as osx?
Old 02-26-2003, 07:03 AM

pk_hat: Hey, don't worry about it, it's in the magazine so it's not really a secret now. ST2 is going to be sooo great, there are so many new features it's crazy. I really can't say anything yet but let's just say that the Stretch function alone is worth the upgrade.. ;-)

jcearsey: Yes your old sound library will be compatiable with ST2.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IK_Jason:
pk_hat: Hey, don't worry about it, it's in the magazine so it's not really a secret now. ST2 is going to be sooo great, there are so many new features it's crazy. I really can't say anything yet but let's just say that the Stretch function alone is worth the upgrade.. ;-)

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Is it going to be better than, say, Spectrasonics Atmosphere (something I'm just days away from buying)? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2003, 02:05 PM

Any change in how ST2 will function as a MIDI drum machine? I am very close to picking up Battery or perhaps Reason so that I can have an easier time of triggering drum samples via trigger to MIDI. If SampleTank 2 makes it easier to assign different drum sounds to various triggers, I may inclined to hold off and wait for ST2.

G.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IK_Jason:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How much is the upgrade going to be? Approximately
Jayman #9
Old 04-17-2003, 06:19 PM

I'm bumping this up seeing as Tracks and Amplitube are available for OSX now....... I've useless libraries here now with the 12" powerbook and am waiting on 2. Any hints or news Jason?
Old 04-17-2003, 07:59 PM

I did buy Atmosphere after all. Quite nice. I hope noone else buys it so that I have all the cool pads.<p>

That said, ST2 may be the route to go for a sample player, as opposed to the MOTU route (which might be more expensive)....
Old 04-19-2003, 08:18 PM

Not sampletank 2 but OSX sampletank free is on the website now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a start anyway