Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2016, 06:51 AM

Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA, Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy
Default Tickle me pink, someone got an award, I mixed it.

Well this is cool.

A song from an album I mixed last year got a cool award.

Nice to see the artists getting recognition for their work, and being a part of that really vindicates all the long hours fretting over how it should sound like.

There is a link to listen to the song on that page as well.

The song was dedicated to our great aunt and our grandmother, who survived the Warsaw Ghetto nightmare and WWII. It's called "Never Forghetto".

http://www.theakademia.com/may2016_b...talblues1.html

Mixed ITB with Pro Tools 10 HD.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Tickle me pink, someone got an award, I mixed it.

Very cool. Congratulations Nick.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-17-2016, 11:44 AM

Congrats man, that's awesome

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-17-2016, 12:13 PM

Not to rain on your parade, but The Akademia is nothing but a payola company that preys on unknowing musicians trying to get their music heard. It's like Trump University of music promotion.

Lots of people get their music commented on by someone on facebook. When the musician asks about it, they receive some variation of this:

Quote:
"Hi [yourname],

Thanks for checking in.

You’ve got a good thing going and I’d like to help you get to the next level.

Aside from the major record labels, there are other organizations that can help you to secure significant airplay. Lately, we’ve been receiving some of our best music from The Akademia Music Awards. This company is covering the cost to get artists not only on WLDN London, but on an extended network of stations worldwide. Therefore, you may want to consider submitting your music to them at www.theakademia.com. Just a thought.

I hope that this is helpful. Please keep me posted on your success and thanks for tuning in!

Sincerely, Zachary Evans (or sometimes Jay Calabera, Jared Stewart, or whatever fake name they feel like using on that day)

Program Director WLDN Radio Houston
The radio station differs, but it's always some no-listener fake outfit with a generic name (Hot FM Radio or Hit Radio or something like that) located in Los Angeles, Seattle, Houston, etc. The call letters are often not located where the email claims they are, and some don't even return a result in the FCC database.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:53 PM

You know my friend here is a Grammy winning engineer, right?

2017 Intel Mac Mini, 32G, PT 2023.12 Studio, Presonus Quantum 2626 and a bunch of stuff via ADAT
Old 05-17-2016, 01:06 PM

Then he's already infinitely more legitimate than The Akademia. It's a scam, no two ways about it.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:26 PM

If you Google "The Akademia Scam", lots of results pop up. There is one Reddit thread where the owner of The Akademia is attempting to defend the outfit, but not with much luck.

Years ago, we paid an outfit called Taxi to evaluate our original compositions. They did reply with a one or two page evaluation form on each song. It sounds like they did actually listen to the songs carefully and weren't pitching additional services that I can recall. In retrospect it doesn't seem to smart to pay someone to listen to your music, but should be the other way around?

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:29 PM

Make sure to check out the info about all the "radio station" email addresses being hosted by the same server as Academia. And the fact that these stations claim to have call letters but don't have any terrestrial broadcast presence and don't match the info provided by the FCC. And the fact that the Academia locations are fake. And the fact that you have to subscribe at $50/month. If this doesn't ring everyone's alarm bells, then I don't know what to say.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:00 PM

I got one exact copy of one of those emails regarding some originals I posted on my youtube but never trusted enough to send anything to them.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:36 PM

Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA, Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but The Akademia is nothing but a payola company that preys on unknowing musicians trying to get their music heard. It's like Trump University of music promotion.
Hi,
Thanks for the warning.
I don't really follow any organizations at all, except the ones I am a member of.

I have no idea how that song got there... but will let the artist know to be careful.

At least it is some kind of press, which can't be all bad, especially in this environment.

Cheers