Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2015, 11:25 PM

Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA, Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy
Default 10.3.10 HD- Opening MIDI pianoroll window crashes Pro Tools

Hi,
I am having this constant crahsing, over 4 times now, completely repeatable.

Using Pro Tools 10.3.10, on Mac OS10.6.8 and using PT HD2 hardware, and a Unitor8 mkii MIDI box (although I am having the issue with an internal VI selected).

My session has three stereo audio tracks, one disabled VI (M TRon Pro), ans the Steven Slate Platinum drum sampler, which has a short MIDI track, only as few bars long.

The issue began when I recorded some midi onto this SSD track, and proceeded to use "MIDI realtime properties" to quantize a 4/4 kick. I used the feature, clsed its window, and opened the MIDI clip to confirm that it worked. I noticed double notes belos the kick note, at -1 octave C. So I selecteds them and pressed delete to get rid of them, and Pro Tools crashed. The crash is so terrible, as the computer's window keeps showing Pro Tools and the spinning rainbow ball, even AFTER force quitting Pro Tools. Activity Monitor reports that Pro Tools is still running, even after the Finder force quit pane reporst Pro Tools has quit.
There is no other way other than to force reboot the computer in order to get back to nomral. So I do not get to report the problem, nor copy the crash report.

Things I have already done, to try to solve this, is to trash all Pro Tools preferences. That did absolutely nothing.

The last time I ran this session, it crashed as soon as I opened the piano roll edit window. It did so IMMEDIATELY upon opening the edit window.

Sorry, but I am going back to 10.3.8, since this is completely unworkable, unless you can solve the issue.

I will try to find a crash report and post it or send it if asked for one.

Thanks for your time in responding to this.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:30 PM

Default Re: 10.3.10 HD- Opening MIDI pianoroll window crashes Pro Tools

Activity Monitor reports the following:

Pro tools is PID 312, %CPU 0.0, threads 61, Real Mem 2.42 GB Virtual Mem 1.48 GB
Old 03-14-2015, 12:37 AM

More info:

I started an entirely new session, imported my audio tracks.

It seems to be the Steve Slate platinum VI. I instantiated one Stereo instrument track, and as soon as I loaded a drumkit, it would not play any MIDI even though MIDI is set, and working, and about 3 seconds after putting this track into record, it crashed Pro Tools.

Steven Slate Platinum Drums version 1,1 November 12 2012.

I am going now to see if there is an update, and if there is, if it solves this issue.

I have been using this plug in with Pro Tools 10.3.8, and it was definitely not crashing Pro Tools...
Old 03-14-2015, 01:41 AM

It seems updating the Steven Slate Drums sample plug in from the older 1.1 RTAS version, to the newer AAX 1.102 beta, seems to have done the trick. I will report if this causes any more trouble.

I did manually remove the older RTAS plug in before installing the newer one, to be sue the old one is not seen by Pro Tools.

In Pro Tools 10 versions there are two entirely different folders for handling AAX and regular TDM and RTAS plug ins.