Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2016, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools | Dock vs. Digi 003 Console

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Anz View Post
What you should also remember is that you can use the PT iPad app w/OUT the dock. If you're happy with your original console then seriously consider having it fixed.
Using Eucon simultanously with Digi003 will disable plugin control on Digi003. Not a good idea. I would just fix Digi003 and stay away from Eucon for as long as possible.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 08-24-2016, 07:34 AM

It depends, I think. Digi 003 and Command 8 are very good fader controllers. But if your looking for Pad control buttons, fader lock and so on EuCon is not that bad. I like the Dock very much but am still wondering why my Artist Mix can't some things my rusty old Command 8 did 10 years ago...
Old 08-27-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
For my home PTHD 12.5.2 surround system, I've gotten many years of use out of the old Digi 003 control surface. It's fast, faders are fine, I can switch automation modes, I can get into plug-in parameter flip mode quickly, and it's 100% supported by PT12. But the power supply just failed and I'm having trouble deciding whether to fix it or put the money toward Pro Tools | Dock.

Without the S3, PT Dock feels like a step backwards in some ways: it only has one fader, knob control of plug-ins looks coarser than fader-flip on the 003. On the other hand, Trim and Preview buttons are big improvements, as are the PT | Control track navigation strip and surround panner.

Any suggestions? Am I living in the past when I consider fixing the old 003? Or should I bite the bullet and get PT|Dock? Will I regret the switch?
After a day and a half of experimentation, I have some early results. Pro Tools|Dock, a 9.7" iPad Pro and Pro Tools HD 12.5.2. are great. Big improvement over the 003, Artist Control, and Command|8. I'm not even sure where to begin, so I'll make a list:

•Dedicated advanced automation buttons while in ALT mode allow you to play Preview and Punch Preview during a pass. Very fast.

•Track selection in big sessions is much faster with the PT|Control strip at the very top. Huge improvement in locating tracks in big sessions. Makes the single fader less of a handicap.

•Putting plug-in parameters up on the knobs is always only two or three taps away. Much faster than the convoluted system I had before. Knobs are touch-sensitive (and unfortunately a little jumpy). But I'm making much better use of plug-ins with this easy access. And yes, it's faster than opening the plug-in with the mouse in big sessions.

•Attentioning a track is pretty quick, so even though I miss having more faders, I get a lot of mileage out of that single fader. And for those times when you must grab a handful of faders, the iPad screen is not terrible. More manageable in Preview, but okay in Touch or Latch, too.

•Dual-touch surround panning! Finally. And cheap.

•I haven't really learned how to use the wheel yet for it's advanced functions, and I haven't programmed a single custom Soft Key or touch strip. More to come...

So the Dock is better than I expected, and I'm finally at peace with EuCon. Thumbs up.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:15 PM

Forgot one drawback:

•No flip-fader for sends. Kind of a drag. Hoping PT|Control will allow that on the screen in a future update.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:11 AM

If you explore the possibilities of the wheel you will be even more excited... Have fun! The Dock is real good thing.