Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2014, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Audio interfaces

I thought an ADAT had analogue micpres? Also, I wonder why there's only an optical in. That's too bad, cuz I have a KORG D16 unit that I sometimes connect to my MBox 2, via the S/PDIF in/out and sync those tracks to PT. That would be impossible w/ the Twin. I guess it comes down to how many inputs I need on average. I really like the idea of having those UA plugs as an option. So it's either just the Twin or the Saffire and $3-400 leftover for a mic and/or pair of monitors.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:51 PM

Optical is an awesome feature for the twin.

There is a place in my town that rents interfaces. So you could get the twin and rent a nicer/same quality interface if/when you need more inputs
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:54 PM

Default Audio interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
I thought an ADAT had analogue micpres? Also, I wonder why there's only an optical in.

Yes you could use that optical port to add additional inputs to the twin.

Keep in mind SPIDF is only one channel, so by giving you the adat they gave you more expandability.

Adat optical is 8channels up to 96khz sampling rate I believe

Old 12-01-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
I thought an ADAT had analogue micpres? Also, I wonder why there's only an optical in. That's too bad, cuz I have a KORG D16 unit that I sometimes connect to my MBox 2, via the S/PDIF in/out and sync those tracks to PT. That would be impossible w/ the Twin. I guess it comes down to how many inputs I need on average. I really like the idea of having those UA plugs as an option. So it's either just the Twin or the Saffire and $3-400 leftover for a mic and/or pair of monitors.
Actually, it has one TOSLINK optical input.

The optical input can be configured as ADAT (Up to 8 channels, max 48 kHz sampling rate), or it can be configured as S/PDIF (Up to 2 channels, I'm old...it's 12:16 AM...I think the max sample rate is 96 kHz...you can verify this as uaudio.com. You can purchase an Optical to almost any S/PDIF connector adapter.

I don't know about the rest...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-01-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Yes you could use that optical port to add additional inputs to the twin.

Keep in mind SPIDF is only one channel, so by giving you the adat they gave you more expandability.

Adat optical is 8channels up to 96khz sampling rate I believe
S/PDIF is two channels.

ADAT Optical is 8 channels, 48 kHz max sampling rate...unless you have two ADAT Optical connectors (on each device) that support SMUX, the you get 8 channels, 96 kHz max sampling rate, or 4 channels, 192 kHz max sampling rate IIRC...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-02-2014, 05:23 AM

Would I be able to connect my MBox 2 to the Twin via the optical in? If yes, is it also necessary for the software to be compatible w/ the MBox 2? I'm pretty sure it won't work w/ PT 11 on OS X 10.10. Btw, thanks for all the help.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:09 PM

Toslink connections can be used for….
ADAT: uses 1 toslink connection, for 8 channels of 44.1 or 48K
S/MUX: uses 2 toslink connections, for 8 channels of 88.2 or 96K
SPDIF Optical: uses 1 toslink connection, for 2 Channels of SPDIF format at either 44.1K, 48K, 88.2K, 96K, 186.4K, or 192K.

Not all interfaces with a toslink connector necessarily support all of these formats, so always read the specs before buying.

P.S. There is also a consumer grade 5.1 audio format that uses a toslink connection, but this is NOT compatible with the above mentioned pro audio SPDIF or ADAT formats.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 12-24-2014, 12:44 PM

As much as I want the Apollo Twin, two tracks just ain't enough, and I don't see myself being able to afford a ADAT anytime soon (especially after this interface purchase). My question is are there any 8 channel interfaces in the same price range as the Foscurite Saffire 40 that offer better quality/mic pres?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 12-24-2014, 12:52 PM

How much is the Safire 40?

B/c with the advent of the Unity preamp from Universal Audio - that really is going to trump the sounds of most anything else. B/c you get impedance switching

Safire 56 has pre amp emulations- but so subtle that you couldn't hear it in the mix

An impedance switch like the twin, and Apollo would actually change the sound of the Mic

Old 12-24-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
How much is the Safire 40?

B/c with the advent of the Unity preamp from Universal Audio - that really is going to trump the sounds of most anything else. B/c you get impedance switching

Safire 56 has pre amp emulations- but so subtle that you couldn't hear it in the mix

An impedance switch like the twin, and Apollo would actually change the sound of the Mic
Saffire 40 is $500, $400 if u get one that's been demoed in store. Do u know if that Unison technology just works w/ the Apollo micpres, or will it work with all the ADAT inputs as well? Like I was saying tho, only 2 inputs is really limiting. I won't even be able to record the drums properly w/ that.
When comparing something to the Saffire 40, I'd prob be willing to drop down to 4 mic pres if the quality is better. But having 8ch avail is really a plus w/ the 40, which has come highly recommended in this forum.