Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-13-2021, 06:20 PM

Default Upgrading pro tools for the first time

Hey Everyone,

I have a very n00b question. I purchased pro tools last year and have a 1-year upgrade subscription and want to upgrade to the latest release. I'm not sure how the upgrade process works exactly, I have downloaded the latest release but am not sure if I have to uninstall my current pro tools version before trying to install this new one. Also, do you have to reinstall all of your plugins or will copying my current plugin directory to the new pro tools install work? Thanks for any replies in advance.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Upgrading pro tools for the first time

Depends. Mac will, as far as I know, overwrite the current install. Whereas it was a good idea to uninstall PT on Windows first, now you HAVE to. No big deal. Run the uninstaller, tell it to uninstall PT and the HD driver, reinstall the new version. Done. It’ll leave your plugins alone, but it would be a good idea to check all the plugin manufacturers for updates.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Upgrading pro tools for the first time

Thanks a lot. Gonna give it a shot now.