Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-31-2010, 07:32 AM

Default Re: PT HD 8.0.3 Access Violation has Occurred!

I've been hit with two of these today, whilst moving around regions in the edit window. Different regions/tracks on each occasion, but same session.

Can't recall getting this error before?
Logs sent....

FWIW my audio drive is a WD Caviar Black.

Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 8 Core 2.66GHz/12GB RAM/OSX 10.6.2
PT HD 8.0.3cs1/HD1 PCIe
Old 03-31-2010, 02:46 PM

Much as these access violations really irk my goad I still find myself smiling at the
thought of Altura Ports. Sounds like a holiday village in Spain.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 PM

I'm still getting those errors, too. Daily

It didn't help to update my Virtual Instruments BoxSet to the latest PT-IEP (Like Structure1.1).

It has something to do with zooming in and out and/or resizing tracks verticaly... ... is my impression.

Yesterday I had it, while just changing one's track view setting from takes-view (with the lanes) back to waveform view.
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 03-31-2010, 04:08 PM

i'm having same issue since three month only on a very busy session vith lots of vst opens, but not every time, i just forced PT shutdown and is OK
i'm on tiger and Pt 7.4 i will not do anything on my drive, spending two days reinstalling 240 plug ins !!!! and pro tools too, i'll rather use Logic
Old 04-04-2010, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timminy View Post
Nevermind. I fixed it.

1. backup
2. wipe the drive
3. do clean install of snow leopard OSX 10.6
4. update to OSX 10.6.2
5. do clean install of protools LE 8
6. update to protools LE 8.0.3
7. spend the next two days restoring/updating mac
I am having similar problems, but in the above fix I noticed something. Installing PT 8.0 on mac 10.6.2, the installing the update. Hopefully this is the resolution to a problem that has lasted for months.

I had installed 8.0 on a mac running 10.6.1 not knowing all of the problems. After reading the 8.0.3 protocol on Digi's site, which said to install 8.0.3 onto a computer that has PT LE 8.0. Before I did this I emailed their tech support to ask if it wouldn't make make more sense to uninstall 8.0 first, and their response was to just install 8.0.3 and follow the instructions. I think the main problem is that 8.0 cannot install properly on 10.6.1, and therefore the upgrade is useless.

On Digi's site it is stated that PT LE 8.0.3 is supported for MacOS 10.6.1 & 10.6.2. If anyone has any feedback about the two Mac OS versions please speak up. I had also seen on the DUC someone state that Digidesigns 8.0.3 will not work with 10.6.1, but dissregarded it after checking the system requirements for the PT 8.0.3 on site.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:05 PM

Having the access violation since a few days.
Running PTHD 8.03 on leopard on a 2.8ghz 8core Mac Pro.
I did all the trashing-database-and-prefs stuff with the official digisupport utility. I even spent €165,= and installed 3 fresh out of the box SATA-disks into the MacPro and copied all sessions and audiofiles from my glyph FWdrives onto the SATA's.
I have spent half a day relinking audiofiles because digibase was not doing what it supposed to do Access violations keep on coming on same sessions.

Today i sent a copy of an infested 600 MB session to a collegue who uses PT 7.xxLE on Tiger on a Quadcore PPC Mac G5.
He got the same lockups while closing session with PT resulting to quit unexpectedly without any warnings.( no access violation warnings)
HOWEVER, when he removed all plugs in the session and saved it with a new name the session closed normally leaving PT running normally.
interesting note: none of the plugins were in his own plugincollection and they were all inactive offcourse...

This brings me to a few conclusions:
1. seems it isn't related to the drives
2. seems to me once a session is infested it don't care for PT version or type which i suspect to be a bug in the very core of the digibase system.
3. seems it isn't related to OS version
4. seems it isn't related to Mac model or processortype
5. hard to believe it's a case of bad RAM (which would be a stunning coincidence)

imho most propably its in the way sessionfiles get stored and handled by digibase.
Food for thought:
I'm used to import sessiondata into new projects to save time and effort
in my daily busy schedule. How about you ???
Old 04-07-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mano View Post
Having the access violation since a few days.
Running PTHD 8.03 on leopard on a 2.8ghz 8core Mac Pro.
I did all the trashing-database-and-prefs stuff with the official digisupport utility. I even spent ... ... ...
Food for thought:
I'm used to import sessiondata into new projects to save time and effort
in my daily busy schedule. How about you ???
IMO it gotta do s.th. with VIs. The "AccessViolation" occurs most of the times if I got a few Structures & StylusRMX & some more VIs in the session.

It also happens here without importing tracks from another session.

The less VIs - the more stable PT-HD is running. I'm having a couple of crashes per day (sometimes even without "AccessViolation" warning) if I'm coming close to 2 GB Ram for PT-HD.
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 04-08-2010, 01:14 PM

installed 8.0.3cs2 today...still crashing but without the access vio-warning.
Indeed the VI's... one session gave me acces violation when removing a battery3 plugin and or audiotracks with their inputs set to NativeInstrruments-related software.

After spending lots of trust and loyalty and a +200 k of euro's last 14 years in upgrading and updating digidesign's hard- and software i'm starting to lose my religion here...

It could be a good idea for AVID to implement a systemconfiguration-uploader and crashreporter into ProTools which sends a file to digi-support immediatly after a crash OR creates a reportfile that can be send to digidesignsupport.
Let them help theirselves to help us help them ;-)

I'M SOOO TIRED OF BEING A LABRAT
Old 04-11-2010, 02:29 PM

I get the same message.

Trashed PT prefs, DAE prefs, and databases, rebuilt desktop. Not better.

Tried to copy the session to a different drive. Not better.
Moved the session to a different computer with an identical setup on an empty just formatted internal drive. Not better.

Will try to import everything to an empty session and see if it helps. Seems like it has to with something in the session folder, maybe the sessionfile it self or a fade file or an audio file...

I also get DAE error 9031. I think I've got rid of all possible illegal characters, but I'm uncertain if that limitation goes only for the session or the whole disk? Anyone knows?
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem 2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 15 GB ram, HD2 Accel, 192 I/O, PT 10, Mac OS 10.6.8. Dedicated internal drives for system and sample libraries. Recording few tracks on a network Synology NAS. More tracks on a Western Digital external FW800 drive. VI's from NI (Komplete 7), Toontrack, Spectrasonics, IK Multimedia, Vienna, MOTU (BPM), Ivory and a bunch of other plugs.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:12 AM

Mac Pro w/ Nehalem
Snow Leopard
Pro Tools 8.0.3 cs2

I get Access Violation and if it manages not to quit immediately it will quit in a minute.

I've been using PT for 14 years. Cannot get this to work. Have wasted days between accessing the updates over the weekend and troubleshooting the access violation. My wife is in school full-time, I'm raising a 2.5 year old, need money and have now had to cancel 3 sessions because of this.

What is going on? What do I need to do?