Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-19-2020, 08:48 PM

Default Mac mini 2018, PT 12.4 and mac mini

Hi all,
I'm having a hard time, due to having to go to multiple sources, to see if my Rack 003+ will work with the mac mini 2018 specs below;
Apple Mac Mini 3.2ghz 6-core Intel i7 16gb-64gb 128gb-2tb SSD New 2018 Model, OS Catalina.

I'm currently running PT12.4 in mac pro 3,1, OS el capitan, and I want to keep the 003.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:59 PM

Default Mac mini 2018, PT 12.4 and mac mini

Catalina? Definitely not.

Mojave? Maybe. I didn’t have any luck on the same machine, but YMMV.

Personally, I’d be looking at moving away from that interface if you can.

BTW - PT12.4 won’t run on Catalina either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2020, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Mac mini 2018, PT 12.4 and mac mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Catalina? Definitely not.

Mojave? Maybe. I didn’t have any luck on the same machine, but YMMV.

Personally, I’d be looking at moving away from that interface if you can.

BTW - PT12.4 won’t run on Catalina either.

Thanks.. I'm just trying to figure out if I should get a mac pro 5,1 or go to a mac mini.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabra View Post
Thanks.. I'm just trying to figure out if I should get a mac pro 5,1 or go to a mac mini.
Are you trying to say on 12.x or trying to keep the 003 Rack+ ... that may force you to work on a legacy Mac Pro 5.1 ... but a Mac Pro 5.1's most compelling configurations, especially with fast NVMe SSD require you to upgrade them to recent macOS version (and Catalina is the last version supported on the 5.1). They can be great.... if you need them (but that's maybe more often say folk with a HD/TDM or HD Native or HDX cards).

Don't get suckered into sunk cost fallacy, that for example that just because you own an old interface that you should keep planning around that. Interfaces have improved since the day of the 003. You may be better off getting onto a modern interface, modern version of Pro Tools and current computer.

Do you need to stay on Pro Tools 12? To finish projects? For exact compatibility with other users? Pro Tools has also moved on a lot, significant CPU stability improvements in 2019 (I could never see going back before those improvements), disk cache in 12.6 and later, etc.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Are you trying to say on 12.x or trying to keep the 003 Rack+ ... that may force you to work on a legacy Mac Pro 5.1 ... but a Mac Pro 5.1's most compelling configurations, especially with fast NVMe SSD require you to upgrade them to recent macOS version (and Catalina is the last version supported on the 5.1). They can be great.... if you need them (but that's maybe more often say folk with a HD/TDM or HD Native or HDX cards).

Don't get suckered into sunk cost fallacy, that for example that just because you own an old interface that you should keep planning around that. Interfaces have improved since the day of the 003. You may be better off getting onto a modern interface, modern version of Pro Tools and current computer.

Do you need to stay on Pro Tools 12? To finish projects? For exact compatibility with other users? Pro Tools has also moved on a lot, significant CPU stability improvements in 2019 (I could never see going back before those improvements), disk cache in 12.6 and later, etc.
I dont need to stay on protools 12, but I also dont need to pay extra for something I dont need and my rack unit works great with 12. Pt 12 would work fine if I had a machine that can keep up with it. I am.not concerned with having the most recent equipment, just a set up that is optimal with PT12 and my 003.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:47 AM

You can buy a Mini, try it and return it within 14 days if it doesn’t work.

But, 003 drivers are unsupported past Sierra. Like I said, it did not work for me when I tried it on a client’s machine.

I understand not wanting to spend money, but if your machine really is your bottleneck, then you may have no choice.

Old 01-20-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
You can buy a Mini, try it and return it within 14 days if it doesn’t work.

But, 003 drivers are unsupported past Sierra. Like I said, it did not work for me when I tried it on a client’s machine.

I understand not wanting to spend money, but if your machine really is your bottleneck, then you may have no choice.

That's what I'm afraid of, it not working. But I did see some posts about some using high sierra and pt 2018 with the 003. So it looks like it could work...thanks for the info sir.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabra View Post
That's what I'm afraid of, it not working. But I did see some posts about some using high sierra and pt 2018 with the 003. So it looks like it could work...thanks for the info sir.

But you can’t run High Sierra on the 2018 Mac Mini, so that’s of no use. Mojave or higher.

Honestly, if you really want a new machine, you’re going to have to seriously look at a new interface. There’s plenty of good and also inexpensive 8 i/o interfaces on the market these days.

Heck, if you really wanted to keep running the 003R, you could get a really cheap new interface with ADAT ports and connect it that way.

Either way, a new computer purchase is going to require an update to BOTH your hardware and software.