Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2009, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 & Akai MPK49 Keyboard Controller

Success.

Ok I have finally got this one resolved. Follow these steps then it should work for you too.

1. Download and install PT8.0.1

2. Download and install the latest firmware update for the MPD32 (or any other controller you may be using)

3. Use the vyzex program to edit the controller and turn the midi thru on.

4. Before you open pro tools you need to set the controller up with the correct cc messages. All of the cc values are on midi channel 16 (16A on the MPD32). Below i have converted the hex code to the decimal (or cc value) for each control.

mute switches = 0 - 7

Faders = 64 - 71

Bank left/right = 28 - 29
up and down switch = 26 - 27 (needed to control plugins)

Plugin knob controls = 72 - 77 (the up and down switch banks through all the parameters in any plugin)

Transport = Set to MMC

4. Save all these settings in the controller.

5. Download and install the cs-10 template from digidesign (this now works in PT8.0.1)

6. open pro tools and go to the peripherals window and select cs10 as your controller. then set your midi in and midi out. Then to finish the transport setup go to machine control tab and enable slave.

7. thats it your done... Check out the soundonsound article on this. it was a great help.

any problems just post up. ill check back and help out if i can.

Regards
Old 10-05-2009, 12:49 AM

I have been holding off getting an MPK49 or the new MPK61 because of the issues noted in Pro Tools 8. I really want to be able to mix with this controller as well as use all the transport and plugin controls (mixing is top priority). Have you been able to use all the features in Protools they way you would an Axiom or Novation controller?

Thanks so much for your help. I know this has been a pain for a lot of people who love this controller but have issues with Protools compatibility.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrade View Post
I'd just like to make one point to digidesign... In the early eighties all manufacturers got together to make electronic music easier to create and to make all equipment compatible through a marvelous system called MIDI. I'd like to thank digidesign on behalf of all of us with keyboards not made by M-Audio for trying to break down over 25 years worth of communication and harmony in the electronic music industry by making things incompatible once again.

Well done... You must be proud of yourselves.
Its funny you speak of this cause it was digidesign in the beginning that actually created MIDI time code (MTC) which standardized MIDI syncing between hardware and software. At the same time i agree with you thinking that if they did this then they should want to make it where you can use all controllers with their software.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabgrib View Post
Success.

Ok I have finally got this one resolved. Follow these steps then it should work for you too.

1. Download and install PT8.0.1

2. Download and install the latest firmware update for the MPD32 (or any other controller you may be using)

3. Use the vyzex program to edit the controller and turn the midi thru on.

4. Before you open pro tools you need to set the controller up with the correct cc messages. All of the cc values are on midi channel 16 (16A on the MPD32). Below i have converted the hex code to the decimal (or cc value) for each control.

mute switches = 0 - 7

Faders = 64 - 71

Bank left/right = 28 - 29
up and down switch = 26 - 27 (needed to control plugins)

Plugin knob controls = 72 - 77 (the up and down switch banks through all the parameters in any plugin)

Transport = Set to MMC

4. Save all these settings in the controller.

5. Download and install the cs-10 template from digidesign (this now works in PT8.0.1)

6. open pro tools and go to the peripherals window and select cs10 as your controller. then set your midi in and midi out. Then to finish the transport setup go to machine control tab and enable slave.

7. thats it your done... Check out the soundonsound article on this. it was a great help.

any problems just post up. ill check back and help out if i can.

Regards
Hey Rabgrib, I used the setup you mentioned. Thanks for posting it. Its the closest I've come to mapping the mpk49. Have a couple questions. I have the faders working, but the knobs aren't. And you know how it highlights the track names to show which tracks you can control. How do you scroll through to control the rest. Go bac and forth and such. I have a tranzport that I use when I record myself. On the tranzport if I go to the next tracks the highlight rolls with me. Any ideas on this? Much appreciated. Why cant protools play nice with the mpk like everyone else. lol Thanks for the help.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:36 PM

Have any of you had any success with getting plugins to map? Is there any way to automap a plugin when its open like the axiom pro does?

I actually just picked up an Axiom Pro 61 after watching some videos on the M-Audio website. I'm running the latest PT M-Powered on OS X. I have to say I'm very disappointed with the build quality. The sliders are of such poor quality I don't even know if I could use this thing. This is Pro Tools quality gear?

I happen to be at the music store and saw the MPK on display and was just blown buy by the quality. I've used a keyboard synth (Nord, Novation, Access) as my midi keyboard controller for years and this is my first dive into standalone midi controller keyboards. Granted the functionality seems amazing in the videos, but the M-Audio product is so inferior in quality to the Akai, I can't even see using this in my Studio. I've always had quality pieces of gear and this is just not a substitute. Are there any other quality alternatives?

For some reason I can't even get the M-Audio controller to come up in my list after installing the software. I've been using Pro Tools since 1996 and I've gone with the flow and think M-Audio makes some great products (I love my 2626 interface, quality!). However the feel on this Axiom Pro 61 (I believe the most expensive controller M-Audio makes) feels substandard at best.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:06 AM

Can anyone give give me some suggestions on getting the faders and knobs set up on the MPK49 with PT 7.4?

Everything (I think) that I have seen is getting it set up in 8.0. I have the everything working on the controller. It's just the faders and knobs that don't work.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Airborne

"Yes, recording to the system drive is 99% likely THE main problem." sw rec
Old 06-13-2010, 07:48 PM

can someone please help me? how did you all even get the keys to function on the mpk49? pt8 will not recognize it all on my laptop
Old 07-23-2010, 09:19 AM

I have been debating on which keyboard to get, the Axiom Pro 49 or the MPK49. Since this thread is old I wanted to check if everything (knobs and faders, plug ins etc.) is working nicely within Pro Tools and the MPK now.

I really like the note repeat, swing and arp on the MPK, but if it's too much of a pain in the butt I might just have to go with the Axiom Pro. Any thoughts?

I will be using Pro Tools primarily, along with Reason and maybe Battery.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:14 PM

I Haven't had any experience with the Axiom but something tells me it has to be better than the AKAI. I've been using the AKAI almost 2 years now and still unable to incorporate the faders and knobs to edit. Also unable to use the transport controls either.
If it didn't have such great keyboard feel and the pads, I'd have sold it and tried something else. There seems to be a plethora of awesome keyboard controllers out there now and the prices look great.
I keep looking at this thread hoping someone has something good to report on the AKAI.

ProTools, M-Powered 8.0.4
M-Audio ProjectMix
LaCie Quadra Drives
SampleTank
Abelton Live
Old 11-21-2010, 09:41 AM

Thumbs up Re: Pro Tools 8 & Akai MPK49 Keyboard Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam-2 View Post
That's unfortunate. It seems like a bad move on the part of AVID/Digidesign The objective should be to support controllers even if they are outside of the AVID family. With the DAW market being what it is, it would seem wise to automatically support your own custom hardware ( or those which you manufacture) but broaden your marketshare by making your DAW more flexible and allow it work with other hardware more seamlessly.
Man, thats the point, you've nailed it.
Some of this wisdom obviously came with Avid aquisition of Digidesign and is visible trough Pro Tools 9 in terms of opening software locks for various sound cards. Obviously there is someone in Avid who has will to change things.
I hope this will also reflect in opening remote controlling platform for others and letting best one to gain new customers. Thats the essence of healthy competition.
Also by opening hypercontrol, Avid shouldnt have to be worried at all for loosing their part in various controllers marketshare, after all they've bought seriously good Eucon protocol, and now sky is the limit.