Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 07-01-2021, 07:51 AM

Default Focusrite Red 16Line fan noise?

Hi all, I’m considering getting a focusrite 16 line to supplement the MTRX Studio. Anyone with experience of using the 16 Line in the control room especially regarding the fan? I understand it has 2 fans, so hoping you’ll say it is silent :)

Cheers
H
Old 07-01-2021, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Focusrite Red 16Line fan noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud View Post
Hi all, I’m considering getting a focusrite 16 line to supplement the MTRX Studio. Anyone with experience of using the 16 Line in the control room especially regarding the fan? I understand it has 2 fans, so hoping you’ll say it is silent :)

Cheers
H
I have one, it is essentially silent.
I can't hear it across the room.

Focusrite Dante expanders (A16R for example) are not silent.

Last edited by uptheoctave; 07-01-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:09 PM

Hi up the octave thanks again for answering yet again :)

The focusrite 16Line it is!

Cheers
H
Old 07-02-2021, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Hi up the octave thanks again for answering yet again :)

The focusrite 16Line it is!

Cheers
H
No worries,

Be aware that you are limited to 32 channels of Dante with the Red 16 Line, also it is not sample accurate for hardware inserts using HDX.
Otherwise it is a stellar product.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
Be aware that you are limited to 32 channels of Dante with the Red 16 Line, also it is not sample accurate for hardware inserts using HDX.
Neither is the MTRX for that matter.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:

Cheers
H
Hud I was just wondering you’d considered the Ferrofish Dante AD/DA’s as an alternative to the Focusrite and if so, what put you off them? I ask because I’m also looking into expanding the I/O of my MTRX Studio and the Ferrofish stuff is ticking a lot of boxes including not having any fans.

https://www.ferrofish.com/
Old 07-03-2021, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Hud I was just wondering you’d considered the Ferrofish Dante AD/DA’s as an alternative to the Focusrite and if so, what put you off them? I ask because I’m also looking into expanding the I/O of my MTRX Studio and the Ferrofish stuff is ticking a lot of boxes including not having any fans.

https://www.ferrofish.com/
Hi Dave,

I'm not the OP but I can speak to this.
I have several types of converters in the studio- 16 channels of Avid MTRX, 16 channels of Ferrofish Pulse 16 DX CV, 32 channels of Focusrite Dante (2 x A16R), a Red 16 Line and a UA Apollo X8.

Ferrofish are excellent and expandable- you could add a Pulse 16 MX to a DX for example and double your ADA channel count (connecting them over MADI) cheaper than buying another Pulse 16 DX.

The routing matrix in the Ferrofish converters is excellent.
The 'on paper' audio spec is slightly below other converters I have but I will be damned if it makes any difference to how they sound.
The only 'non-pro' aspect to them is the external power supply but as I say in the review I'll be glad of that if the power supply ever fails as it can be easily replaced.
A bit of velcro and a few cable ties sorted out the wiring messiness due to the external PS in a few mins.

You can read my review of it here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...6-dx-cv-review

The Focusrite A16R fan is annoying in the control room.
They sound great and the only issue for me is the fan noise.
I use them for 32 channels of outboard as hardware inserts so I only turn them on when mixing.

I might end up selling the A16R's at some point and replace them with something fan-less but it isn't my top priority.
That might be a couple of Pulses or it might be a Lynx Aurora n.

Lynx are more expensive of course and sound terrific.

I reviewed that converter here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...urora-n-tested

Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
Hi Dave,

I'm not the OP but I can speak to this.
I have several types of converters in the studio- 16 channels of Avid MTRX, 16 channels of Ferrofish Pulse 16 DX CV, 32 channels of Focusrite Dante (2 x A16R), a Red 16 Line and a UA Apollo X8.

Ferrofish are excellent and expandable- you could add a Pulse 16 MX to a DX for example and double your ADA channel count (connecting them over MADI) cheaper than buying another Pulse 16 DX.

The routing matrix in the Ferrofish converters is excellent.
The 'on paper' audio spec is slightly below other converters I have but I will be damned if it makes any difference to how they sound.
The only 'non-pro' aspect to them is the external power supply but as I say in the review I'll be glad of that if the power supply ever fails as it can be easily replaced.
A bit of velcro and a few cable ties sorted out the wiring messiness due to the external PS in a few mins.

You can read my review of it here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...6-dx-cv-review

The Focusrite A16R fan is annoying in the control room.
They sound great and the only issue for me is the fan noise.
I use them for 32 channels of outboard as hardware inserts so I only turn them on when mixing.

I might end up selling the A16R's at some point and replace them with something fan-less but it isn't my top priority.
That might be a couple of Pulses or it might be a Lynx Aurora n.

Lynx are more expensive of course and sound terrific.

I reviewed that converter here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...urora-n-tested

Hope this helps.
Thanks James that’s very helpful and great reviews! None of the Ferrofish “cons” bother me and I would imagine the quality of conversion would be fine for my requirements. I’ll be using it for piping in hardware synths, drum machines etc. and the CV capability is an unexpected bonus.

I’m sure the Lynx is amazing but it’s literally double the cost for 32 channels. The Ferrofish is also cheaper per channel than the Focusrite units. My studio is effectively silent now with the exception of occasional HDX card fan noise so I was a bit hesitant about the Focusrite.

Just one quick question - does the Ferrofish interface well with synths/drum machines in terms of level? Most stuff I have is quite hot on the outputs but is there enough gain available to cover quieter synth outputs?
Old 07-03-2021, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Thanks James that’s very helpful and great reviews! None of the Ferrofish “cons” bother me and I would imagine the quality of conversion would be fine for my requirements. I’ll be using it for piping in hardware synths, drum machines etc. and the CV capability is an unexpected bonus.

I’m sure the Lynx is amazing but it’s literally double the cost for 32 channels. The Ferrofish is also cheaper per channel than the Focusrite units. My studio is effectively silent now with the exception of occasional HDX card fan noise so I was a bit hesitant about the Focusrite.

Just one quick question - does the Ferrofish interface well with synths/drum machines in terms of level? Most stuff I have is quite hot on the outputs but is there enough gain available to cover quieter synth outputs?
It hasn't been a problem for me.
The Pulse is switchable from +20dBu, +13dBu, +4dBu, plus you have digital gain from +20dBu to -8dBu, in 1dB steps.

Note that CV is just the CV model(s) only.
It is CV on outputs only too.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:05 AM

Cant find a Focusrite Dante or ferrofish in stock anywhere in UK for love or money, seems all sold out. Plenty of UADs though!
H