How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 10-30-2020, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Perpetual Licence Gone !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_uk View Post
Still no one from Avid that would like to assist?
I'll check out your case and reply to that...
Old 10-30-2020, 03:11 PM

Wanted to also point out there is text under the subscription options explaining this:

"Trade in your Perpetual license for a Subscription..."

...and after clicking Buy Now there's another window that reads:

"Please note: When selecting the Crossgrade option to move from a Perpetual license to a discounted Subscription you will be required to trade in your Perpetual license. The Crossgrade is not a renewal for your current Perpetual Software Updates + Support Plan."

Screenshots:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crossgrade1.jpg (22.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Crossgrade2.jpg (40.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-31-2020, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Wanted to also point out there is text under the subscription options explaining this:

"Trade in your Perpetual license for a Subscription..."

...and after clicking Buy Now there's another window that reads:

"Please note: When selecting the Crossgrade option to move from a Perpetual license to a discounted Subscription you will be required to trade in your Perpetual license. The Crossgrade is not a renewal for your current Perpetual Software Updates + Support Plan."

Screenshots:
Again...people are not perfect. If someone is moving quickly they will not understand this while going through the check-out process. You can keep defending the Avid site, or you can take on-board that it is predatory and ends up being a "gotcha" for many people, even if not originally intended to be so. The "crossgrade" is such an absurdly bad deal (give up your license for a lower rental price for two years...), some people will see what they want to see instead of understanding the implications.

Yes, people should read the fine print before completing check-out, but calling it a "crossgrade" in the first place is deceptive. The option should be called what it is: "Surrender Perpetual License". Whether deliberate or not, anything else is obfuscating the truth.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
...people are not perfect. ... calling it a "crossgrade" in the first place is deceptive...
Agree that mistakes can happen, and we've worked with customers to assist in these cases. Will pass your feedback on to the team for consideration, thanks!
Old 11-03-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Agree that mistakes can happen, and we've worked with customers to assist in these cases. Will pass your feedback on to the team for consideration, thanks!
Thanks Jeffro, I can only imagine what it's like dealing with us grumpy people on the DUC day after day You single-handedly add masses of value to Avid by popping in here and keeping an eye on things, cheers!
Old 11-03-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Thanks Jeffro, I can only imagine what it's like dealing with us grumpy people on the DUC day after day You single-handedly add masses of value to Avid by popping in here and keeping an eye on things, cheers!
In my case Jeffro helped me out enormously by rectifying my problem, and everything you said with regard to "masses of value to Avid" speaks volumes.

Make no mistake this is a special person who genuinely cares and takes that extra step to make things right....Avid + all of us are lucky to have a person like Jeffro on board.

Thank you for helping me Jeffro...its very much appreciated

Johnny
Old 12-07-2020, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Cancelled Perpetual Licence for Crossgrade

1 month later but I guess I am going to share that the same thing happened to me. Unbelievable. Trickery. Unacceptable and simply a SCAM. Been using this software for 10 years and paid probably more than a 1000$ over the years. Now I cannot even use it anymore. If there is a class action lawsuit, I will gladly join.

Last edited by jeffro; 12-07-2020 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Merged with existing thread.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Cancelled Perpetual Licence for Crossgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AramisMerlin View Post
...the same thing happened to me...
Will review your case and update that - please look for an email.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:30 AM

Default Re: Unintentional Crossgrade from Perpetual License

Bottom line is AVID should not be asking anyone who still has a perpetual license to surrender it for any reason. Get your subscription fees from new users and move on.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Unintentional Crossgrade from Perpetual License

I have to join the "bandwagon" here since I too have unintentionally crossgraded from my 2 perpetual licences.
The store page was useless trying to give any answers.
I got the feeling I somehow _had_ to do a crossgrade, which I now understand a year later, that wasn't the case at all.
Boy do I feel stupid.

I found out because I didn't see anywhere on the useless store page what my subscription cost would be for the next renewal, so I asked a rep about it, and when he told me I was on a discount price, and next years renewal would be more than double I almost **** bricks.

Oh yeah I guess I need to mention I'm not making any kind of money producing my music, but at the same time I'm very much locked into the echo system, and since I'm making commercial music releases I also can't run an educational license.

I really didn't want to jump ship on a product I've been using since the early 2000's when they started to talk about subscription based licensing, but I see now that maybe that would have been the right decision.