Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2020, 12:20 AM

Default Re: New Mac Pro (7.1)

Same here,
depending on the project I have either a one machine setup on the 7.1,
or the Ultrastudio running of an Mac Mini 2018. Both works great,
also Ultrastudio in combination with the ADR Master works like a charm.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:45 AM

Has anyone tried Nemix RAM? Normally RAM is not something I’d skimp on but it’s hard to find anything negative said about this brand.

192GB (6x 32GB) for not far off half the price of OWC.
https://www.nemixram.com/catalogsear...c+pro+2019+7+1

Same applies to Sabrent Rocket M.2 sticks. Not far off half the price of Samsung EVO Plus. Again, disks aren’t something I’d normally skimp on so just wondering if anyone has tried Sabrent?

This is kind of interesting. Dispells some myths about solid state storage longevity and also real world performance.
https://youtu.be/GlGjd1GZWdo
Old 05-03-2020, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Has anyone tried Nemix RAM? Normally RAM is not something I’d skimp on but it’s hard to find anything negative said about this brand.
I thought about it and, it’s probably fine (I think there are only a couple of suppliers of the actual memory chips). But I decided not to skimp and went with a local supplier of OWC. If there are any problems, at least I have some recourse.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:10 AM

Default New Mac Pro (7.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
I thought about it and, it’s probably fine (I think there are only a couple of suppliers of the actual memory chips). But I decided not to skimp and went with a local supplier of OWC. If there are any problems, at least I have some recourse.

I agree. I’ve used OWC RAM a dozen times over the last 20 years, and I’ve never had a problem. There are cheaper options, but its not the most expensive either.

I went with OWC 96GB (6x16). only $649. Getting 6 chips unlocks best performance, I can easily add another 96 later.

Although for me (mixing films), Pro Tools isn’t going to come close to using all 96.

Mardsy- Before spending the money on 192, make sure you have enough things running to take advantage of it. (Like instruments) maybe you don’t need that much?
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 05-03-2020, 07:39 AM

Thanks Luke and Lucien.

I’m a composer so the RAM will get filled with sample libraries. It’s not so much how much I need but how much I can afford! 384GB of Nemrix RAM is not that much more expensive than 192GB OWC.

It’s a tricky one. As Luke says, Nenrrix is probably fine, but... every time PT crashes, am I going to be wondering if I should have bought OWC!
Old 05-03-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks Luke and Lucien.

I’m a composer so the RAM will get filled with sample libraries. It’s not so much how much I need but how much I can afford! 384GB of Nemrix RAM is not that much more expensive than 192GB OWC.

It’s a tricky one. As Luke says, Nenrrix is probably fine, but... every time PT crashes, am I going to be wondering if I should have bought OWC!
Ooh, yeah. you need tons of RAM. Nemix is probably fine. Looks like on Amazon their company is listed as Nemix/Micron. I've heard of Micron. After you buy the RAM, you can run tests built into the Mac and make sure it's good from the start.

Thanks for posting the SSD video. Very interesting. The Sabrent chips look like a great option, but if you need more space for libraries, the Intel 660p wins for size vs. price. Although I just checked some of his links, and that one isn't available. And the price on the Samsung has gone up. Probably due to problems with importing Chinese goods, etc.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 05-03-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
Ooh, yeah. you need tons of RAM. Nemix is probably fine. Looks like on Amazon their company is listed as Nemix/Micron. I've heard of Micron. After you buy the RAM, you can run tests built into the Mac and make sure it's good from the start.

Thanks for posting the SSD video. Very interesting. The Sabrent chips look like a great option, but if you need more space for libraries, the Intel 660p wins for size vs. price. Although I just checked some of his links, and that one isn't available. And the price on the Samsung has gone up. Probably due to problems with importing Chinese goods, etc.
Yeah the Samsung drives have gone up on price but it’s very volatile. I have at least two weeks before my 16 core new MP arrives so I’ll hang fire.

I am inclined to go with Samsung Evo Plus m.2 drives and Nemix RAM. as you say, RAM is easy enough to test and given the price a spare stick or two wouldn’t don’t go amiss.

Some good info here on M.2, NVME storage for Macs:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-ahci.2146725/

I’m a little nervous about the fan on the Sonnet M.2 4x4 card. I’ve had bad experience of allegedly quiet Sonnet fans in the past and an even worse experience of their truly dreadful support over issues with their SSD chassis in an Xmac Pro Server.

So... this looks like an interesting option:
https://highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/s...1-overview.htm

It seems the card’s fan can either be controlled by MacOS and I’ve seen reports of the manufacturer saying the fan can be disabled as the cooling is so good on the new Mac Pros. Easily obtainable here in the UK too.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Oh Pro Tools still crashes plenty frequently with 192GB of OWC RAM
Old 05-03-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:

So... this looks like an interesting option:
https://highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/s...1-overview.htm

It seems the card’s fan can either be controlled by MacOS and I’ve seen reports of the manufacturer saying the fan can be disabled as the cooling is so good on the new Mac Pros. Easily obtainable here in the UK too.
That’s a serious competitor. I’m a big fan of HighPoint. I’ve used their raid cards. I remember they were also the first on to market years ago with a card that carried 4 SSD chips in a raid.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 05-04-2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
That’s a serious competitor. I’m a big fan of HighPoint. I’ve used their raid cards. I remember they were also the first on to market years ago with a card that carried 4 SSD chips in a raid.
Good to hear.

Definitely a contender! They seem to have got very Mac friendly of late.
https://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_n..._solutions.htm