Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2012, 12:25 PM

Default I/O limitations ?

I have a question regarding the use of outboard hardware effects with the Audiophile 2496 which as you know, is a 2 in, 2 out device. I normally record all tracks assigned to input 1 mono, and output each to L/R Stereo since I record each instrumsnt one at a time. If I want to use, say a hardware delay effect, can I utilize an available bus? How would I assign the ins and outs. I think that the proper way would be to first, assign the output of the track that I want the effect on to say, bus 2, (or any listed available bus), then create a new Aux. track. Assign it's input to bus 2 and output to to L/R Stereo. Sorry to make such a seemingly simple operation sound so complicated but that's just the confused way my brain functions. Just let me know if this is correct. I've never used Hardware Effects but thought it would be an option to plugins. Thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 07:13 PM

Default Re: I/O limitations ?

Using hardware with a 2x2 interface is not worth the hassle. You really need at least 4x4 so you can leave your main outputs to do nothing else. The only way you can make this work with 2x2 is to disable all track outputs so you can send your AUX bus out to the hardware. The record the returning audio to a new track(while making sure the new track's output is NOT set for the main outs). Are you getting the idea that its not worth the hassle? Skip the hardware and use plugins, or change/upgrade to a bigger interface(one with more IO).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-12-2012, 05:38 AM

Thanks albee1952 for your quick response. I see your point and I will start looking for a newer I/O with more ins & outs. Something not too costly and will be around for a while. The Audiophile 2496 has been a good starter.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:35 PM

For sure that's a solid interface, but I think you will find a much easier time with something that can handle the extra IO. Maybe Mbox Pro or one of the compact MOTU boxes?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 AM

I'm looking at various Interfaces that would be more flexible but I'm a little gun shy to change to something that might result in compatibility problems. I can't seem to give up my dream of a resonably priced mixer/interface with flying faders for hands on control of the mix. The Mackie Control Universal looks enticing but My Mackie 24/8 developed static problems in the EQ switches in less than a year! Are the Presonus Mixers equiped with the HUI protocol feature ? Are they rugged and reliable? I'd like to here from someone who has hands on. I kind of have my eye on the 1602. Is it compatible with Pt's 9.0.2 ? Thanks