Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-13-2012, 04:25 AM

Default Any good drum sound replacers for HDX native or DSP . I tried drumagog in TDM but cr

Any good drum sound replacers for HDX native or DSP . I tried drumagog in TDM but crashs my computer way to much
Old 04-13-2012, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Any good drum sound replacers for HDX native or DSP . I tried drumagog in TDM bu

this one?

http://www.masseyplugins.com/#plugins/drt
Old 04-13-2012, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Any good drum sound replacers for HDX native or DSP . I tried drumagog in TDM bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-o- View Post

Yep!

V2 looks awsome!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonixstudio View Post
Any good drum sound replacers for HDX native or DSP . I tried drumagog in TDM but crashs my computer way to much
DRT v2 and Trigger.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-15-2012, 07:26 AM

DRT to print audio clicks to use to sample accurately trigger Trigger. You have to get in there and fine tune the transient detection points in DRT though. If you go through and zoom in on them one by one you will see that about 30% of them are a bit off.

Also, there aren't any DSP drum replacers. They are all Native.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:52 PM

Well, you specifically asked for native or DSP, which rules out AudioSuite. If there is no particular reason to use real-time (such as live sound etc) I'd suggest the good ol' AudioSuite Digi SoundReplacer. To my ears, it is the most accurate tool I've found so far. Particularly regarding critical timing and ease of use.

Pls disregard my post if AudioSuite is not an option.

AVID Certified Instructor
Old 04-16-2012, 04:19 PM

SoundReplacer is not very accurate at all! If you zoom in and check each sample against the original drum you will find many miss triggers and inaccurate transient placement. It also doesn't play multiple velocity layers or never repeat the same sample twice in a row. These are all things that any present day replacement can, and should be able to, do. If a drum replacement plugin can't do at least that it will sound fake as all heck.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:22 PM

Hi WernerF, I usually use SoundReplacer to add to the original, rather than replacing. When blended together carefully, using the same sample repeatedly doesn't seem to make the result sound 'fake' to my ears. As for phase accuracy, I usually check original and processed sound panned hard L / R on headphones. Audible shift rarely occur with the threshold set carefully.

Ages ago, I used Logic's 'Audio to Score' function to generate midi data which then needed to be conformed to the right note value and scaled in velocity in order to trigger a VI sampler successfully. A hell lot of work. Compared to these days, the SoundReplacer is dramatically more accurate and a much faster workflow. Love it for it's simplicity.

However, I am very curious to try the DRT. Am open to new ideas and willing to convert. Bought some other Massey stuff, it is great! Just watched the DTR videos. Am particularly excited about the workspace drag-n-drop stuff. Something I always missed in SoundReplacer.

Am looking forward to learn how it measures up regarding ease-of-use and accuracy. Downloading the demo now.

Cheers, J.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 PM

Hi J, DRT and Trigger are both way more accurate and realistic sounding than SoundReplacer. They are also much more tweekable. In DRT you can fine tune the transient placement, add or remove a detection point and adjust the velocity level of any detected hit.

I also just add and blend, but the point is that the more realistic the added sample's are the better the final result. I think that if you zoomed in on the added samples from Soundreplacer, at the sample level, you'd be quite suprised at what you see.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:57 PM

Thanks Werner. Bought DRT a couple of days ago, still learning my way around but doesn't seem to be too difficult. Love the drag-n-drop from workspace, love how it scales the view with the edit selection. Will use it in an album that I'm currently mixing. Kick, snare and hats were recorded poorly and need serious sound-replacing. Will let you know how I go.

Thanks for the tip!

Jan