Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-11-2017, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 vs 8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
... and a few more BUGS roaming around that neighborhood
[knock on wood]
I gotta be honest, I've had far fewer bugs in PT 11 and 12 than I did in PT 6, 7 and 8. And PT12 has been remarkably rock solid stable on my Lenovo laptop. There was a time with PT6 and 7 that it was virtually unusable on my computers, even my Quadzilla Dual Opteron build was sketchy. But now, I can run Protools, surf the web, work on Sketchup drawings and Word documents all at the same time. It's uncanny.
[/knock on wood]

Home/mobile: Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Focusrite Red 8Pre / Protools HD Native 2018.10 Ultimate
Old 10-11-2017, 12:27 AM

If I remember correctly, PT8 still used the Avid or Digidesign interface as the copy protection dongle (PT M Powered used an M-Audio interface as the dongle). From PT9 onward, Avid used an iLok2 and above to authorize Protools and Protoolls HD.

Somewhere around PT7, PT8, or PT9 there was some movement around track counts for Protools LE and Protools HD. There was some add-on toolkits like the Music Production Toolkit and the Complete Production Toolkit that allowed additional tracks but those have been done away with around PT10.

Each version was only certified to work with a limited number of OS versions. Be sure to check the compatibility list before getting any version of Protools. I recall a lot of frustration when Mavericks and Yosemite came out. Currently PT 12.8.0 and PT 12.8.1 are NOT certified with the latest MacOS High Sierra (Unless I missed an announcement), so be sure to know what version of the OS you are getting with a new Mac.
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.13.6 running Protools 2018.7.0
Old 10-11-2017, 03:01 AM

All in all, 12 has many more features as you've seen in previous posts; features that once you've become used to, you wouldn't want to be without. The gap between Vanilla and HD has narrowed to the extent that I sold off my used HD that I'd had for less than a year, because Vanilla met my current requirements.

That said, Southsidemusic said it like it is. Bugs. Old stuff that was working well broken in new releases, fixed in subsequent releases, more stuff broken, etc. It's been a virtual seesaw here the past couple of years, and many have moved to other DAWs for more instant gratification.

Not dissing PT12, (I love Pro Tools) but you've got to find out which release will be the most stable on your system, and for your workflow. System specs, configuration, platform, favourite plugins, workflow...all these seem to play a more important role than they did in 8. It's largely different strokes these days. The 2 broad divisions would be those that are heavily MIDI / VI based, and those who do only / mostly audio. PT has always been CPU inefficient and finicky with 3rd party stuff, but IMO, 12 seems even more so.

You may want to start off with 12.4, which generally for a large number of folks, has worked well. If you do a lot of midi, 12.6.1 is very usable, after issues from 12.5 to 12.6. Versions 12.7/12.71 were not very good for me, but there are those who will swear by these releases. 12.8 (which I currently use) is rock-solid for me, though it has a couple of bugs that make it totally unusable for some people. BTW, I'm speaking from a Windows standpoint...

By all means upgrade to PT12; once you've chosen your stable release, you'll find it much more powerful than PT8. Welcome to CLUB 12!
X99 | i7 5820 | 64GB GSkill DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 950 | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Kingston 120GB SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 1TB | Samsung MZ7PD256HAFV-000H7 SSD 256GB | WD Black 1TB x2 | G-Drive 4TB | Audient ID14 | PT12.8.1 | Windows 10 Pro
Old 10-11-2017, 05:55 AM

all good info guys, thanks!
the os/compatability has always been the issue and why I am still running Snow Leopard! but it works with 8.
according to the avid systems requirement page 12.8 and 12.8.1 are good with macOS Sierra.
I will basically replace my MBox mini with a Focusrite box and hopefully carry on working with mainly a few audio tracks and lots of instrument tracks using mostly Expand2.
if all goes well I'll try some of those aax plugins which look real nice...
getting a bit exited already.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
There was a time with PT6 and 7 that it was virtually unusable on my computers
It was PT6 (first for OSX) until 6.4.1 and once PT7 introduced multi-core plugin processing the first ones were bad, but 7.2 and 7.4.1 were good.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
If I remember correctly, PT8 still used the Avid or Digidesign interface as the copy protection dongle (PT M Powered used an M-Audio interface as the dongle). From PT9 onward, Avid used an iLok2 and above to authorize Protools and Protoolls HD.
Yes. PT9 is essentially PT8 with 3rd party interfaces and new splash screen...
Old 10-11-2017, 01:10 PM

The now defunct M powered did require the old ilok dongle 1, I used it with a Delta 1010. I'd just jump straight to 12 Avid like Digidesign are not very good with legacy support. I'm amazed you held on this long. PT8 was like 2009.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:59 PM

yup, late 2009 right after I bought my imac. haven't upgraded anything in fear of running into issues with PT8. now all my browsers are painfully in need of updating so I figure it's time for a new 2017 imac 27'
but to be honest, if it wasn't for the computer needing updating I could still work very happily with PT8 as it does everything I need
Old 10-11-2017, 04:49 PM

Just a note on the iMac - I'm in fact of one right now as we speak - the graphics can tend to be a bit "laggy" and "stuttery" (meters, playhead and re-sizing windows) in Sierra, I'm not sure of the fact reason why but it seems to be a combination of crappy GPU and (in the case of PT and a couple of other apps) poorly implemented graphic processing. I actually run a seperate 1080 monitor which I do all my editing on as it runs smoothly whereas the iMac built in 5k display is pretty much unusable.

Anyway, opt for the highest spec CPU & GPU you can, but hey, it's all about to change anyway with the release of the iMac Pro and High Sierra so all of the above might prove a moot point - I hope

Lastly, High Sierra hasn't been certified by Avid yet and if you buy a new Mac of any flavour today, you won't be able to roll back to Sierra.

Good Luck!
Old 10-12-2017, 11:48 AM

Just remember to avoid the Fusion drives in your new iMac, they have a reputation of not playing well with Pro Tools.
Cubase 9.5 Pro
Vienna Ensemble Pro 7
Icon D-Command

HD Omni
192 Analog I/O 8 in/8 out/Digtal I/O
192 Analog I/O 8 in/Digital I/O
Two 192 Digital I/O
Apogee Rosetta 800, AD16X & DA16X (All wth X-HD cards)
Antelope Zen Studio+ Thunderbolt

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.3

Gigabyte z390 Designare
I9 990K 4.7 GHz
64 Gb of DDR4 3200
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
MacOS 10.14.5 Mojave

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.4 GHz
32 GB of DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 760 Video Card