Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 AM

Angry Protools 8.0.5 Helpp!!! (No signal or sound!!!) :(

The issue: I can get a signal through the Mbox mini2, there are levels showing and I can hear the sound, but even though everything seem's to be correct such as inputs and outputs and my arming tracks ready for recording, it just wont record.
I've looked at countless forums and there doesn't seem to be a solution, my laptop is efficient enough to run protools and I was able to record before linking up my midi keyboard, since I did that it doesn't seem to want to record but I get signal and sound which I don't understand, also I only get a signal through an instrument track and not an audio track which confuses me as with vocals and guitar I'm supposed to use a mono audio track but when I do use a mono audio track I get neither signal or sound unlike the instrument track. This happens with both vocal and guitar, the microphone I use is a Shure SM58 so there is no need for phantom power, the monitor mix is turned all the way right and input 1 and 2 are turned up enough to hear and record, also the headphone/speaker knob is turned up enough and at the back of the box none of the button's are switched in as they are not needed.
Any help would be much appreciated thanks.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Protools 8.0.5 Helpp!!! (No signal or sound!!!) :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusShortyAudio View Post
The issue: I can get a signal through the Mbox mini2, there are levels showing and I can hear the sound, but even though everything seem's to be correct such as inputs and outputs and my arming tracks ready for recording, it just wont record.
I've looked at countless forums and there doesn't seem to be a solution, my laptop is efficient enough to run protools and I was able to record before linking up my midi keyboard, since I did that it doesn't seem to want to record but I get signal and sound which I don't understand, also I only get a signal through an instrument track and not an audio track which confuses me as with vocals and guitar I'm supposed to use a mono audio track but when I do use a mono audio track I get neither signal or sound unlike the instrument track. This happens with both vocal and guitar, the microphone I use is a Shure SM58 so there is no need for phantom power, the monitor mix is turned all the way right and input 1 and 2 are turned up enough to hear and record, also the headphone/speaker knob is turned up enough and at the back of the box none of the button's are switched in as they are not needed.
Any help would be much appreciated thanks.
Just in case you are unaware, you cannot record Audio on an Instrument track.

The fact that you can see a signal on one track and not the other is puzzling since it sounds like you know how to assign track input selection.

Can you take a screenshot of your session and post a link so we can take a look at your setup?

Are you recording to a separate drive?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 02-27-2012, 07:16 AM

Smile Re: Protools 8.0.5 Helpp!!! (No signal or sound!!!) :(

Yeah, I've kind of realised that now people keep saying it's only for midi controlled sounds.

That's what I don't understand I pretty sure I'm doing everything right :S

Yes I am recording to a 1TB external HD although I tried recording straight to the C:drive and nothing still, it's been a pain I've tried everything I can think of, it's the first time I've had to join a forum for answers, even though still, no solution to the issue.

After writing all of this, I loaded up a new session to take a screen shot and it recorded! The only thing is, there's no signal level but I can hear the sound, I assumed there was no sound, because there was no signal level (which still confuses me, as there should be) when I was either playing the guitar or tapping the microphone, but then again there wasn't a waveform made when I tried recording before and i surely would of heard the sound, so I don't know what was wrong before lol! I'm just happy its working!

Thanks for trying to help I appreciate it!