Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2011, 05:06 AM

Default Help with Dangerous Music D-Box

For the past 3 days i have been doing a mix down of a track using my D-Box. This track is then sent in for mastering for a compilation cd. The mastering engineer keeps reporting back to me the file I am sending to him is a mono file. I am working in Pro Tools and always bounce my tracks as "stereo interleave". What in the world am I doing wrong. My interface is Digidesign 003 so all conections are exactly as Dangerous Music recomends. Is there a trick to bouncing to a new track or something. I have tried every routing possibilty I can think of. And everytime I check the file with a correlation meter it is blank. I need to have a new track sent in by the end of today. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Help with Dangerous Music D-Box

If you're using the Dbox as it's supposed to be used, then you shouldn't need to "bounce" anything.

Assuming you have it hooked up correctly, the "sum out" of the Dbox would come back into 2 analog inputs of your 003. You would create a stereo audio track to record that summed signal (and set the input of that track to match whatever 2 003 inputs the sum out is going to).

Then when you've done that, then that audio track is your final mixdown. You would just export that stereo wav file to your desktop, or into a cd burning program, whatever you need to be able to send it to the mastering guy.

If you can tell us exactly how you have everything hooked up, that would help.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:29 AM

Everything is hooked up as you explained. I just discovered I was selecting the wrong output source in the bounce dialog box. But I am curious. I have never exported a track as you say. I always bounced to disc.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:54 AM

Bouncing to disk is not necessary since you have the Dbox.

Once you have your stereo mixdown on that audio track (that records your sum input), you can export it by finding it in the regions list over on the right side of the edit window (make sure that part of the window is visible). You select the track, right click (or control click) and that will bring up some choices.

Choose "export regions as files". It will bring up a box where you select the destination, such as your desktop, another hard drive, or wherever.

Be sure you don't change the bit rate or sample rate when you do this. You don't want any dithering or changing of anything because the mastering engineer will do that after he works his magic. For example if you recorded at 24 bit 96k, then leave it that way.

If you're physically mailing or giving him a disc, then you would take this exported file and burn it as data on to a cd (not as an audio cd). The Mastering guy will then import it into his DAW, do his stuff, and then dither, convert sample rate, and burn a red book compatible cd master for you.

If you are sending the file over the internet to him somehow then the same thing applies.

All of this would be the same if you did your own mastering. You would still want to export it at the same settings you recorded it at, then create a new session in Protools at that same bit depth/sample rate. You would then do your processing or whatever, and then finally do your dithering, etc. The same procedure would apply if you imported it into a program designed for mastering such as Wavelab, Bias Peak, etc.

One other thing to note:

When you're first doing your mixdown to this stereo track, sometimes people will have an insert such as a certain bus compressor that adds character, etc. Note that any inserts won't be recorded to the file. If you want that to be recorded, you would route the sum track into an aux (where you would put the insert), which is then routed into an audio track that records it.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:11 AM

I tried the export file you explained and I don't see an option to save as a Wav. file. Wierd because I also heard from Bob at Dangerous Music and he says the same thing. He then went on to say "Friends don't let friends bounce". LOL. I think I'm going to make that into a t-chirt design. Still could use a little more help with exporting and all should be well. Thanks again!!!