Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-01-2008, 07:24 PM

Default Upgrading Digi 002 Rack to Pro tools HD1 PCI Core System

I have a Mac G5/1.8 (PCI-X) signal processor with a Digi 002 Rack
With { Native } Waves Platinum/API/Restoration. I’m looking into upgrading to Pro tools HD1 PCI Core System .Will I be able to run as many Native plug-ins as I am currently running on my Digi 002 Rack G5/1.8 (PCI-X). What are my limitations

thank you for any help

best
Richard

rpmarr@verizon.net
Old 07-01-2008, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Upgrading Digi 002 Rack to Pro tools HD1 PCI Core System

maybe, maybe not. If you start out by using RTAS plugins first then saving your HD card for when the system starts getting used up, then you will definitely be able get more plugins. Using the HD card alone, I wouldn't doubt if you can get more plugins going on the G5.

But is that all you want the HD1 system for??? Plugin counts? For the money you could buy a brand new Mac Pro and pimp it out and blow an HD1 system away as far as shear power goes. Then factor in how much more TDM plugins cost, OUCH!

If it's for the Auto Delay Compensation and the smoother operating then I can see the need. If you just want more plugins, a Mac Pro properly setup with 4GB of RAM with knock your socks off. The only way I would trade in my current system would be for an HD3 with a ton of Free plugins like Digi does sometimes. I even think my setup, plugin for plugin, can run with if not beat an HD2 system in plugin count. I know for sure the HD2 system (not accel) I used to use on a Mirror door G4 can't touch this Mac Pro. But I will admit the HD systems are MUCH smoother sailing and a lot less error messages get thrown off. Buffer Under/Overrun error basically don't exist. You gotta have a bit of patience to run an LE system in a professional environment. Manual Delay compensation isn't as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be, I actually enjoy doing the Math. And if it weren't for Waves R-Compressor I wouldn't do a quarter of the compensating that I do. Anyway, no I'm rambling...
Old 07-01-2008, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Upgrading Digi 002 Rack to Pro tools HD1 PCI Core System

Quote:
Will I be able to run as many Native plug-ins as I am currently running on my Digi 002 Rack G5/1.8 (PCI-X). What are my limitations
Guess I should have read that a bit better, you will be able to run roughly the same amount of NATIVE plugins because its the same computer running the same plugins. An HD card doesn't make the computer itself any more or less powerful. Its the same computer. If you were to buy Waves Platinum TDM, then you could run the Native plugins until your computer started to slow, then start using the TDM ones to increase your plugin count. Just remember you have to start with RTAS plugins first then add TDM, not vice versa. But like I said above, money money money... oh yeah and more money. With a side of money. Buy a Mac Pro fully loaded with RAM upgrade to Waves Mercury and you still won't come close to buying an HD1 plus an interface.