Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-27-2006, 04:46 PM

Default Mbox sound questions...

Hey guys! I just have a few questions about my Mbox setup. I am really new to this and know just enough about recording to know that I don't really know anything! I think that this is the first step to actually learning something! Anyway, I actually have a few questions dealing with different areas of the recording process.

First - It seems like I am really having to crank my input level up extremely high on the Mbox to get a signal. As you can imagine when I have to crank it up to almost 100% on the knob I am getting some pretty nice "noise" in my recordings. This is with both an instrument input and a mic input. For the instrument setup I am using a Martin 000M with an LR Baggs iBeam into a Boss TU-2 tuner then into a Whirlwind Director direct box then straight into the Mbox. For the mic setup I am running a Shure SM58 straight into the Mbox. I just don't think that I should have to turn the input up to about 90-95% to get a good signal.

Second - I have also tried running from my Mackie 1202 VLZ-Pro direct into the Mbox because I have the Mackie set with all the right levels and everything and it is easier to just run that when I am recording quick demo type things. My problem? Okay, imagine that you are trying to record a live performance. Everything is hooked up and leveled on the mixer. I run one of the main outs to the Xbox and the other is running out to the power amp and speakers. The problem is that I get the most god awful noise coming through the speakers!! Why would it be coming through the speakers? Not only that but I am getting the same sound in the recordings.Unplug the mains and the sound goes away...of course...but it goes away on the recordings too. Plug the mains in and unplug the Mbox...sound goes away. Anyone have any thoughts?

Lastly - As per the discussion above I was wondering if anyone could give me a step by step setup to record live shows using the Mackie 1202 VLZ-Pro and the Mbox. I have the Mbox and the Mackie sitting right next to my laptop computer...could that be a problem? I am kind of at a loss...

Thanks guys for the help!!