Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2009, 12:37 PM

Default Re: So Digi, What is up with Structure ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Many View Post
Just a note; I bought Translator Pro at the beginning of the year to convert my large Giga libraries to Structure. It kind of worked, but there were quite a few problems in the translations. There was a lot of back and forth with tech support over the last few months trying to fix these problems and when I was ready to return the program since it didn't function as advertised, Garth (the head of Chicken Systems) contacted me and assured me he would handle it. I agreed to wait a little longer and I'm very happy I did. A new build (71) was released on Friday and it works beautifully. Every bug and problem I'd reported was addressed and apparently many more as they've been coordinating handling these problems directly with Digi.

If anyone is looking to convert Giga format libraries to Structure this now is the easiest way to go....
I have the new build, they've been working closely with Digi on it, there's a demo of the system in action on the blog. http://airvirtualinstruments.blogspo...emo-video.html

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:51 AM

Wolfram Knelangen,
Any updates you can provide to the forum would be fantastic. We'd love to know what's in the works. No release dates needed. Just something to keep the AIR faithful motivated that good things are to come with Structure & Transfuser.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:49 AM

It's the middle of May now. To reiterate:

I do not use Structure for anything except EXS playback, so my TWO FULL copies of Structure have gone unused by me for the entire two years it's been out. Unfortunately, my main VI is my EXS sampler, so I've been limping along by using Kontakt this whole time because of the EXS import ASR bug which has rendered Structure essentially useless. Is there a functional beta version of Structure available yet?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:31 AM

Talking Re: So Digi, What is up with Structure ?

not yet, may be in your next life ;-) !

You have to be patient - I am wondering if they are when they are looking for your money, ...

well, just a thought ?!

have a good day !
Old 05-14-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBuckle View Post
I enjoy the light heartedness of the discussion but if you think about what Digidesign has done it's not that funny.

They truly lied to everyone who thought they could translate their expensive libraries and took their money under false pretenses.

In many other industries that would be severely dealt with.

Have customers absolutely NO right to demand a refund if they buy goods that are falsely advertised?

You're probably thinking that maybe one day in the future they will fix it so you cut theme a bit of slack.

This is fundamentally wrong. It's a cheap and underhanded way to treat customers and if you let them get away with it they will do it again.

BTW I don't own Structure.
+1 brutha!!!

It's way past time that software vendors are held accountable for this type of fraud. Pushing the software out the door do or die in whatever state it's in using the justification, "We'll fix it later with updates" just so revenue can be made for the quarter is criminal. In most countries, software cant be returned after purchased and opened and it appears many software vendors are abusing this with their profit rationales.

Let the developers finish their software as they intended it to be for once. Coding is their art. This is their way of creating and you need to let them finish their paintings without these insane corporate deadlines that do more harm than good. The developers gotta be shaking their heads with disgust and embarrassment at times as they are tied to the shackles of this insane profit rationale that forces engineering compromises on their work.

A big applause and 3 cheers has to definitely go out to the amazing independent software developers we have. Stillwell, Massey, Schwa, Nagy, Frankel, Andy, Redline, Gary, Lennar, D16, to name a very few, have delivered amazing solid and reliable plug-ins that kick some serious butt! They're also very affordable. They listen to our feedback, talk to us directly, and deliver. Their art also gets finished to completion. The outcome is a very strong and supportive community for all of them without the love/hate relationship of customer vs company.

It's only a matter of time before one of these amazing independent developers gives us a user defined and praised "revolutionary" new sampler. They wont need to be doing any self glorified marketing touting these claims like a bad late night infomercial. There work will speak for itself. The users will be the ones that define it as "revolutionary" because it will just work.

Until then, I continue my search for a good sampler VI.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-14-2009, 03:01 PM

I don't think anyone for one minute has acted dishonestly either Avid or AIR.

If you truly believe that you have bought something which does not do what it claims, if the law in your country is the same as the UK, then you can take it back and get a refund.

Simple as that.

As to a good sampling VI, I've been through most of them and Structure is my one of choice, even with its issues.

In the meantime I'll also wait for the fixes for all my other software, music and otherwise which doesn't do everything it claims.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
...If you truly believe that you have bought something which does not do what it claims, if the law in your country is the same as the UK, then you can take it back and get a refund.

Simple as that.

As to a good sampling VI, I've been through most of them and Structure is my one of choice, even with its issues.

In the meantime I'll also wait for the fixes for all my other software, music and otherwise which doesn't do everything it claims.
It is not that simple just to return the product, mostly because of sample licensing issues especially if you have been using Structure with its own samples in a lot of songs. This doesn't necessarily mean that you are satisfied with Structure, but it can mean simply that you were using Structure utilizing its functions that are working fine according to what the developers claim meanwhile patiently waiting for the developers to fix those functions in Structure that they claimed to work properly yet these functions are pretty far from being fine, not even close.
Substantial amount of time passes and the users finally realize that still nothing is fixed with Structure meanwhile -the way as I mentioned it above- they finished tons of songs and projects with it. Now if you as a user are among these people, how are you going to be able just simply return Structure? You cannot! You will have to deal with all of those songs and projects all over again trying to replace Structure with something else.
Not to mention that you will have to call back all of the songs and projects to remix them because of sample licensing issues.
This way just to simply return Structure simply doesn't work unless the developer company pays for the troubles and wasted time of the users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
I don't think anyone for one minute has acted dishonestly either Avid or AIR.
So are you saying that all of those beta testers find every function great and standing up to the claims with Structure? Yet the customers easily spotted the obvious problems with Structure in basically no time.
It is obvious and very reasonable to say that dishonesty did in fact happen here!

Anyway, I think a good solution possibly would be an automatic partial refund of the money that was spent on Structure without returning Structure and when the new update or upgrade comes out the users who received the partial refund can decide if they purchase it or stay away from Structure and try to find some other virtual sampler instrument that is best for them.

Pro-Tools 10.3.10 HD 2 Accel PCIe
OSX 10.10.3
Old 05-14-2009, 04:20 PM

This is still on the Digi site after 2 years

•Use your existing SampleCell, Kontakt 1 and 2, and EXS24 sound libraries* (supports up to 8-channel interleaved samples)

The * refers to not being able to translate encrypted libraries.

If I was looking for a VI sampler and saw that compatibility statement I would lay my money down.

Russ, is that not misleading?
Old 05-15-2009, 04:29 AM

Digidesign seems to be faultering...no, IS FAULTERING in a lot of ways due to , what else, lack of money. They are in survival mode. I've heard personally form different Digidesign employees that they don't have enough resources to deal with things they must deal with. Avid keeps losing massive money every year. Digidesign is clearly in survival mode now, needing to push bedroom-friendly PT8 out the door asap.

I was personally the victim of two product absolute disasters, the likes of which I've never seen before by any company outside of the ever-terrible Native Instruments. The first was my two top-of-the-line copies of Structure being worthless to me due to the unfixed EXS import. The second, however, is a far more widespread and damaging issue. Since the release of Intel Macs, MBox 2 users experience many many kernel panics EVERY DAY that result solely in FORCED SHUTDOWNS. Imagine that your Digidesign interface is causing you to FORCE SHUT DOWN your computer a few times and hour to a few times a day. Then, upon restart, Spotlight takes over your computer for 5-20 minutes to regain its bearings and rebuild. Both Macs and their users hate forced restarts, they are so dangerous to data and time loss. This has been left UNFIXED FOR OVER TWO YEARS. Here is the latest of many threads documenting the furiousness that has accumulated, this one will ringing in at 600 posts this week:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...194592&page=15

It was revealed this week that the fix would not happen until the Autumn of 2009 at best, so I finally threw in the towel and had to buy another Digi interface.

It is A FACT that these two PRODUCT DESTROYING issues have been swept under the rug due for over two years and counting due to the Avid financial crisis. No company, especially conservative Digidesign, wants monstrous problems like these and the RTAS disaster.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:16 AM

Wow, makes our problems seem small.
Context is all.