Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2015, 07:43 AM

Default Want to sell PT12 EDU to a friend,but can't change account details

Hello,this is my first thread in hthis forum,so feel free to move this thread if I got the wrong section.

I've purchased a PT11 license a few months ago for my apprenticeship in audio engineering and finished already. A friend of mine is still in his apprenticeship and really needs PT for this. He also owns a confirmation to prove that he's still visiting this school.
When PT12 came out,I upgraded the license from 11 to 12.
Now I want to sell the license along with the iLok 2-stick and the linked account to my friend.

Could one of the AVID staff members please help me transfering his name,e-mail,adress etc. to my actual avid account?
Or is it possible to make him creating his own avid-account and just transfering the license completely to this new created account?

Thanks in advance
Helpling
Old 08-17-2015, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Want to sell PT12 EDU to a friend,but can't change account details

Presumably you bought Pro Tools 11 with educational discount, going through the process of verifying your eligibility for the educational discount?

And bought the upgrade to Pro Tools 12 using the $99 educational upgrade pricing offer (you should have four years of upgrades at $99 per upgrade from the original purchase date)?

If so, it's bad news I'm afraid. Educational licenses are not transferable, so don't expect Avid to help you out with this.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 08-17-2015, 11:44 AM

as Nigel said Educational licenses are not transferable from the original owner

consider it a real life lesson in paying attention to what you are buying

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-17-2015, 02:05 PM

Well,that sounds really bad.It's right that I've purchased it with EDU discount but I also want to sell it to a student who has a confirmation.He can validate to AVID that he's still visiting his media school if needed.
The upgrade from 11 to 12 was free,btw.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:30 PM

Why is that bad? You got a great deal and a free upgrade, but in return, you gave up the ability to sell the software. Fair trade in my book.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-17-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpling View Post
The upgrade from 11 to 12 was free,btw.
Aah, so you bought PT 11 inside the grace period for a free upgrade to PT12. Didn't know that.

The same rules still apply though as regards to your licence being 'not transferable'.

The other student equally has a right to buy a new license of the software with an educational discount if he meets the eligibility criteria, so he should do that really.

I suppose if you believe you will never want to use Pro Tools again, and if the other student thinks he will never want to upgrade it at any time in the future, then you could just sell him the iLok 'as is'.

The iLok will still be registered to your iLok account ... you could just hand over control of that account to him, by giving him the password, which he can then change.

Pro Tools will still be registered to your Avid account .... and that's a more sticky issue, as your name and address are part of that registration. You could hand over control of your Avid account to him, and he could pretend to be you when upgrading in the future, but of course he won't be able to prove educational discount eligibility in your name. And if he wants to carry on using it and upgrading it into the future, the time will soon come when it becomes a pain to have to keep pretending to be you, not least if he ever needs to use the support plan facility.

All in all, if he is going to be student for several years, it will be cheaper for him to buy a new copy will annual support plan cost of $99, instead of buying from you, which will cost him $200 per year to maintain a support plan that isn't even in his name.

And remember, if he doesn't keep renewing the support plan, the Pro Tools license will become frozen at the version that was current at the time the support plan expired, never again able to to be upgraded.

So buying off you at any price other than a few dollars is a bad deal for him. Sorry that it's bad news for you.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 08-18-2015, 07:51 AM

I also had the idea to hand out the whole ADIV-account to him. But the biggest problem is that you can't change your e-mail adress,so I also had to hand over my gmail-account to him what I really can't because all my purchased Apps from the Google Playstore are linked to this account.
But nevermind,thanks for your answers.I'll never buy an AVID product again and continue discouraging people from supporting AVID.

Have a good day,m8s.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:43 AM

I am not aware of any Educational deal that doesn't have similar restrictions

Your attitude about it speaks volumes about yourself

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig