Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2018, 03:19 PM

Default Ilok recovery w/ ZDT $50

Did you know it is $50 to recover your ilok licenses via ZDT?! I didn't. I pay the annual fee, did not realize there's an additional charge to use the service. Why is this not clearly advertised (rhetorical).
Old 01-09-2018, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Ilok recovery w/ ZDT $50

Totally agree

Thought that the yearly fee coverage was for exctly that but why would it ..

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-09-2018, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripekeai View Post
.... Why is this not clearly advertised (rhetorical).
Unfortunately, ZDT fees do not include the price of an RMA order or a spare iLok.

Italicised below quoted from: https://ilok.com/#!zdt-details
The Fine Print
Fees
The ZDT subscription fee is US$30 per iLok for up to one year or until your iLok breaks, is lost, or stolen; whichever comes first. ZDT fees do not include the price of an RMA order or a spare iLok.

RMA placed for a Broken iLok
A replacement iLok is included in your RMA order. The replacement iLok is shipped at the time the RMA is placed.

RMA placed for a Lost or Stolen iLok
With TLC enabled, PACE is authorized by software publishers to replace the licenses last seen on the iLok by our server. This happens automatically without any action from you, the end user. This process usually takes a few days and will be done before Zero Downtime licenses expire.

I think $30 ZDT is money well spent.
It's essential to “enable TLC” if you want coverage for Lost or Stolen iLoks.
With TLC enabled, you still need a spare iLok at home or work, to hold your replaced licenses: “This process usually takes a few days and will be done before Zero Downtime licenses expire.”
Apart from your backup iLok, I don't think this costs any extra.

Broken iLoks – costs extra for RMA order and a spare iLok.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 01-09-2018, 07:16 AM

Still doesn't say we have to caugh up another $50 for the RMA without a replace ilok key. We had to buy that too so ~$100 for the whole thing.what is the $30 for then if not for the RMA cost???

We don't get ANYTHING for that $30 as we have to pay for the RMA aka $50 anyways so whats the point.??

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-09-2018, 09:14 AM

The $30 is their admin fee for depositing temp licenses.

Think of it like the $25 fee to transfer plugins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
The $30 is their admin fee for depositing temp licenses.

Think of it like the $25 fee to transfer plugins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea Make sense I guess but the $50 is still a mystery to me

Thanks for the thought, I am with you there .. kinda

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-09-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
....We don't get ANYTHING for that $30 ....
Having a lost or stolen iLok is worse than possessing a damaged or broken iLok which you can, at least, send for replacement – except lost or stolen iLoks can be replaced in “a couple of days” at possibly no-cost - as long as you have ZDT with TLC enabled.

So it's $130 to replace a broken iLok, or $30 with ZDT/TLC to replace a lost or stolen iLok.

Maths time:
Calculate the value of your plug-ins, then add that to your Home or Business Contents Insurance Policy for a quote – and ask for portable “go-anywhere” cover for your iLok/s.

Suddenly, the $130/$30 deal looks tolerable. Claimable for business.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 01-09-2018 at 10:25 AM. Reason: go the $30 ZDT/TLC!
Old 01-09-2018, 10:33 AM

Thats niether here nor there. I couldn'tcare less if it was $25 or $250 as the content is worth many thousands but for me it is the fact they don't disclosethese hidden costs on the website or anywhere else. Just a matter of principle as most of us I think believe that the $30 is the fee and will think so until their ilok breaks. Ours did and we paid without thinking about it until I looked for the info onthe website and could not find any mention about an additional fee to get the licenses back. We didn't get an ilok or anything like that, just the licenses back.

After that ordeal I am starting to dislike ilok as a option for copy protection all together as we are kinda forced into whatever scheme they bestow upon us and we just have to take it and abey..

Anyway I am happy it worked out fast and painless for us when our ilok just stopped working one day out of the blue. We have extension cords for all threeiloks which are connected at the same time and took all the avenues to not stress them by pulling out and back in and still afterless than 14 months one broke for no good reason andthat is worrying.

We have now bought 10 of the new ilok3 keys in hope that those will fair better than 14 months. They do feel way better and more sturdy than the plstic ones but who knows .. one or more could be a lemon and die an early death even though I doubt that will be the case Fingers X'D

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-09-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Having a lost or stolen iLok is worse than possessing a damaged or broken iLok which you can, at least, send for replacement –
That's for sure!

I lost my iLok that my HD10 license is on but since I don't use it anymore (my Native 12 license is on another iLock) I've procrastinated about getting it replaced.

I really wish you didn't have to jump thru flaming hoops because It would be nice to have a second version even if it is out of date...
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:41 AM

I would definitely go about getting that license back even thought you say it is old, the HD versions are valuable and you could get 600+ dollars for a HD10 license easy on ebay or here in the buy and sell. Someone might wanna use that HD10 to upgrade to HD12 for a lot less than buying a new HD12 license.

Even buying a HD10 plus the upgrade cost to HD12 will still be half of what a new license for HD12 would be.

IMHO of course but I would really work for that license to come back.

Getting Avid licenses back are not that difficult as getting a third party license back at least. You just need to fill out the correct "paperwork" and I seen Avid help out many times.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————