Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-01-2004, 11:20 AM

Default 6.4 prefs gives me a headache

Under OS9 you could listen with option-click to a sound in the bin (right sound-list in the right of the edit-window) and the position of the session did not change. After listening to a sound like this you could simply press play and the session would start where it was before you opton-clicked on the sound. Of course everytime you hit play the session continued in play - in other words - it did not jump always to the last play-point - but it continued playing like a tape from the point where you last stopped. Because you do this in some areas of work quite often it seems to me very important.

Is it just me or is this not possibal anymore with OSX (PT 6.4)? I checked all prefs but either the session jumps to the session start after releasing the mouse (when you listened to a sound from the bin) or you hit play and it will allways jump to the last start point and not the last stop point.

In post this is most anoying!!!
Is it just me or is there a bug (i would call that a bug).

One editor even refuses to work under OSX until this is fixed - so please - could anybody help me!!!!!!!!

Is there no way to set the prefs so that the system behaves like it did before - if this is false - please explain to me how to set the prefs so that it just stays at the play-point (where you last stoped!) after listening to a sound from the bin.

Thanks in advance

PS: Everything else works just perfect - did not have a single crash since on OSX on three systems.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:28 AM

Default Re: 6.4 prefs gives me a headache

No one????
If i am right this is a boring bug!
Old 07-03-2004, 07:47 AM

In the preferences >editing> turn off "Track Selection follows Region list Selection".
You can audition bin sounds without your selection moving.

tc, PT,s 6.4HD
Old 07-05-2004, 12:42 AM

Thats true (of course i did that) - but i also need to have "timeline inserion follows playback" - otherwise everytime i hit start, PT will always play from the last start-point and not the current location - which is not what i want (hitting start should do a continue - thats exactly what "timeline inserion follows playback" should do - and does) but as soon i have that pref on listening to a sound from the region-bin the session is (after releasing the mouse) at its start. This was different under OS9 (checked that several times - have OS9 still on the mac). So - i cannot find a way to set the prefs the way so that PT behaves like it did before.

Any other suggenstion???
Old 07-05-2004, 10:50 AM

strange that the "insertion follows playback" has anything to do with "timeline selection follows region list selection" but i don't have 6.4 so i can't try it.
One workaround would be to turn off insretion follows playback, and then get into the habit of hitting the down-arrow key before you stop the playback. This will position the cursor right there.

While we're on the subject, in 6.2.3 the "region list selection follows timeline selection" doesn't always work. Many times i like to hear the original sound from the bin to compare it with the processed version in the track. Sometimes it works, but many times, i click on the region in the track and nothing happens in the region bin. Yes, i have hit cmnd-shift-D to show all first.

www.tompaul.com