Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2006, 10:07 PM

Default SATA drives

Is there anyone out there that is happy with their SATA drives?
I bought a Seagate SATA a few months ago. Works great but it is very noisy compared to my IDE drives.
So, it is used as a back up drive, inside the pc, but not hooked up.

I needed a bigger drive so I bought a WD SATA drive thinking it may be quieter.
It is worse than the Seagate SATA.
It vibrates, ands kinda buzzes too, to the point that I may just go back to the good old IDE drives.

I could not get it to work on one of the SATA controllers (DFI lanparty 250gb mobo).
It works on the second chanell, but tonight my pc had to be fired up 4 times before it would boot.

Is it just me and my buzzards luck, or are SATA drives still too new?
I noticed Allan still lists IDE drives for the Allenstein.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:57 AM

Default Re: SATA drives

my Seagate sata is fairly quiet when its continuously reading/writing but very noisy if its non continuous and the heads jump around a lot.
WD PATA system drive is about the same noise all the time. louder than the the seagate when both are idle but doesnt get to noisy when reading/writing
if you are using 10krpm drives they will of course be noisier than a 7200rpm drive just as noise increased when going from 5400rpm drives to 7200rpm drives. the drive life also tends to decrease, 5400rpm drives are still good for long term backups

sata is not to new its been around for ages, but alot of the newer drives reaching higher capacities and higher spin rates are. realy most of these new drives just arnt needed anyway, just stick with a couple of 7200rpm ide/sata drives and save your money for your next mic
Old 03-16-2006, 07:55 AM

One of the reasons I went SATA was because they were cheaper.
This morming my pc wouldnt boot at all (got to a very faint windows logo, and hung), until I unplugged the SATA drive.

I will be buying another drive today, IDE.

As far as I am concerned SATA is a POS.

Buzzards luck.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:58 AM

I talked to WD support on the phone. They suggested not to use the SATA power cable, but try the legacy power connector.
Seems to be working. No more annoying noise, and no PC boot problems.

Weird. Anyone else have a simillar experience?
Old 03-16-2006, 07:53 PM

how you you connecting power to the drive? are you using the adapter cables from regular ide plug to sata plug?
you might have a bad power rail on your psu
Old 03-17-2006, 05:20 AM

From a mechanical (and thus noise) standpoint SATA has no bearing on things. The one semi-exception to this would be if your PSU isn't providing adequate power (thus the recommendation to use the legacy connector rather than go through an adapter to the SATA power connector). Going back to IDE would be a very poor decision on your part.

The quietest drive I've found is the Seagate Baracuda 7200.9 300gb. I've built some fairly large RAID arrays with these and they are amazingly quiet compared with anything I've used before. They support NCQ and are SATAII (300mb/sec) so you can potentially get a bit of a performance boost by using a SATAII controller, though in most cases I think your performance will be limited more by the 7200rpm and, depending on your mobo, the bus.