How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2019, 02:38 PM
Avid

Default Re: Nulling Parameter Values

Looks fine here. You may simply need to refresh your browser.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 07-01-2019, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Nulling Parameter Values

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Looks fine here. You may simply need to refresh your browser.

Jeff
For anyone else having problem seeing the images, you have to allow the dropbox tracker through now. [This used to not be the case but seems dropbox has tied shared images to their tracker now ]

It's amazing that Avid can't store and host images for this thread verses using an outside host.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Avid

Default Expanded EQ Controls

Let's take a closer look at the expanded EQ controls for a Knob Module on S6. The Avid Channestrip plug-in offers 2 Filters, 4 Bands of EQ in addition to dedicated Input and Output controls.

Filters:
Filters 1 and 2 can be enabled using either the bottom left Encoders or the bottom In switches. The Sel switches just above each In switch enable the Band Solo functions for each filter. The second encoder from the bottom controls the Filter Frequency. To toggle the Filter Type, use any of the In switches adjacent to the encoders for Frequency, Q or Slope. The topmost encoder on the filter column toggles the Filter Slope, between 12 and 24dB/Octave. If the Filter Type is set to Band Pass or Notch, the second encoder from the top can be used to adjust the Filter Q.

Input / Output:
Input and Output controls with nothing switched.

Low Band:
For the Low Band, the bottommost encoder adjusts Gain - boost or cut. The associated switched controls, just like the Filters, include In for Band Enable and Sel for Band Solo. The In switches associated with the Frequency and Q encoders toggle the band between Peak and Shelving.

Lo Mid Band:
For the Low Mid Band, the bottommost encoder adjusts Gain - boost or cut. The associated switched controls, just like the Filters, include In for Band Enable and Sel for Band Solo. The second encoder up from Gain controls Frequency, then Q just above it.

Hi Mid Band:
For the Hi Mid Band, the bottommost encoder adjusts Gain - boost or cut. The associated switched controls, just like the Filters, include In for Band Enable and Sel for Band Solo. The second encoder up from Gain controls Frequency, then Q just above it.

High Band:
For the High Band, the bottommost encoder adjusts Gain - boost or cut. The associated switched controls, just like the Filters, include In for Band Enable and Sel for Band Solo. The In switches associated with the Frequency and Q encoders toggle the band between Peak and Shelving.

A higher resolution version of the above image can be found here:

EQ_Expand_Channelstrip

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 08-04-2019, 07:03 PM
Avid

Default Swapping Functions into Zones

Let's take a closer look at leveraging all of the various module real estate on your S6 console. We have a configuration which includes dual Attention Knob Zones, a set of Attention Expand Faders, as well as the 2 sets of encoders which are always docked to the Master Touch Module accessible from the Home page. This can be created on either a 5-knob or 9-knob S6 system. I've chosen to create a small 9-knob configuration and configured two Attention Knobs and an Expand Fader zone in that 3rd bucket. You could just as easily configure your 5-knob console by dragging from the configuration slider a block which is Fader, Attention Knob, Attention Knob. After configuring, simply configure the Fader as an Attention Expand Fader.

We're going to first ensure that the option under the Home > Local Options (gear) for Knob View is set to All Functions and not Selected Functions. When viewing the Home page, which shows an exploded view of all possible parameters for the Attentioned track, touching on a block in the Function Scroller will NOT hide the other parameters, but rather, it will show all of the possible virtual parameters arranged in columns by their color-coded function.

All of the interactions described in the below video are performed from the Home page for the Attentioned track. Simply touch any of the small virtual knobs on the touchscreen, then touch any of the Attention Knobs or Faders to dock that type of parameter (by function) into the chosen zone. For Expand Faders, remember that it is necessary to first create Expand Fader Maps for any of the functions that your would like to populate. This includes individual Insert Parameters for plug-ins, Pan, Sends, EQ, Mic Pre, etc.

Swapping_Functions

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 08-08-2019, 07:03 AM
Avid

Default Help Us Help You

Let's take a closer look at some new troubleshooting options that have been added to S6 in the latest version: 19.7.0.101

You now have the ability to let S6 automatically collect all of the relevant logs and configuration files from the Master Module with a single button press.

Navigate to Settings > About and touch Collect Files. The Master Module will ask where you want to save the zipped bundle which defaults to C:\Users\S6User\AppData\Local\Avid\S6\. It is certainly possible to change the path from the default if you so choose.

The files being collected include:
MTM Log Files
Titles
Module Data
User Preferences
System Preferences
Surface Arrangement
Network Setup
Expected WS List
Monitoring Settings
Appsets...and more...

I mentioned in a previous post that it can be beneficial to create simple file shares on the Master Module in order to simplify the process of accessing essential S6 files.
Connect to the s6mastermodule:

Here's the default path location when performing Collect Files:

Lastly, WSControl also now includes the ability to Collect Support Files from the local Workstation:

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-09-2019, 07:05 PM
Avid

Default S6 Tip ‘o the Day

Let’s take a closer look at some of the minor, but important tweaks added when Attentioning a track from Pro Tools in S6 19.7. Located in Settings > User preferences, Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area determines which user interface areas within the DAW, when clicked, will trigger a track attention and populate one or more of the specified sections on the console. If Plug-Ins, Pan Controls or Sends are enabled, simply clicking on any one of those interface elements in Pro Tools will attention the associated track and populate the sections on the console as set in the user preference Display Knobs From Most Recently Clicked DAW Area.

For our workflow example, we’ve chosen 2nd Expand Knob and Fader Modules. On my 16 fader console, the LEFT knob module has been defined as the 1st Expand Knob and the modules in the 3rd (RIGHT) bucket define the 2nd Expand Knob and the Attention Expand Fader zones.

In addition to the Plug-Ins, Pan Controls and Sends, we’ve also enabled Track Name and Edit Window. With these options enabled, the behavior diverges from the initial implementation in S6 19.5.x. When clicking, either in the Editor or on a Track Name, S6 will populate the chosen attention zones using the default functions as set by the user under Home > Local Options (gear).

As shown below, my 1st Expand Knob Function on Attention is set to EQ and the Backup is set to Inserts (Any). The 2nd Expand Knob Function is the one we are concerned about as it matches what we’ve chosen for Display Knobs From Most Recently Clicked DAW Area.

The LEFT side of the console, on attention, will follow the options that I’ve defined under the Home > Local Options. The RIGHT side of the console will be populated from the DAW based on what is clicked. For Plug-Ins, Pan and Sends, the function is already determined and will be loaded into the user specified zone(s), which in my case is the 2nd Expand Knob and Attention Expand Fader. If the user clicks in the DAW using a method which does not have an associated function (Track Name, Edit Window, Fader, etc.) then the console will favor the Home > Local Options settings for these zones. For my 2nd Expand Knob and Attention Expand Faders the primary function is set to Dynamics, with a Backup function set to Inserts (Any).

19.7 Attention-DAW Improvements
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-01-2019, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Creative Transport Customization

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Here's a simple way to reprogram the Back button on the Transport Section of the Automation Module to provide a bit more flexibility, should you find yourself commonly toggling Insertion Follows Playback.

The Back button in the attached appset has been modified to trigger the EUCON function Restore Last Selection, which will bring back the last selection or insertion which existed before hitting play. This can be used in combination with toggling Insertion Follows Playback ON, which advances the playhead. To get back to the previous position, simply press the Back switch.

Before loading this appset, (modified from current S6 v18.3 software) please save a copy of your existing set if you've customized the factory so you can retrieve the custom functions. This can all be accomplished from the Settings > Soft Keys page on the Master Module. Simply place the attached XML file on a flash drive, pop it into the back of the Master Module and Load it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ug32sfwjrb...60918.xml?dl=0
Thanks Jeff for this post, I had actually set that up before I saw your post, I think it is a great idea that you posted. If it is helpful to anyone I have found that Restore Last Selection can be spotty especially if you ever unlink timeline and edit selection. Even if you go back to having them linked for some reason Pro Tools doesn't restore last selection very well even if you make the last selection again.

For this reason I have found that if you normally work with those linked using back and play with this sequence works pretty consistently.
  1. Options Menu:Link Timeline & Edit Sel
  2. Transport:Locate:Back with 300ms Delay
  3. Transport:Playback:Play (don't substatue back and play for these two steps it will not work properly)
  4. Options Menu:Link Timeline & Edit Sel

I would like to use this in conjunction with Write to All/Selection but for some reason, Pro Tools always writes to play locators and requires that you play from the left locator or Dynamic Transport. I can't use Dynamic transport because that is not supported with Satellite link which I depend on. Back and play is ideally what I want to use anyway and then write to my selection. For what it's worth steps 3 and 4 can be swapped with the same results.

I understand that when using Write to All/Selection you would generally not need to use back and play. However, when working with producers they want to go back and hear something quickly while we are in the moment while we are still getting general levels and as soon as we do we loose the option of write to selection which is frustrating.

In thinking about this more sort of a workaround could be if I use back and play (be sure not to forget I did at the end of a long passage), of course enable Auto Join (back and play without that would generally be silly when writing automation) then (1)Capture, (2)Stop, (3)Punch Capture, and (4)Write to All/Selection. Alternatively, I could also option click on Write Automation to Selection on Stop while we are going through passages.

Last edited by skilletaudio; 10-02-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:50 AM

Default Re: S6 Tip ‘o the Day

Jeff,

regarding your post from 08-08-2019 about connecting to the MTM via SMB: i cannot get this to work.

i have a Mac Pro, which has 2 built-in NICs. these are both in use to connect to our corporate LAN, so i am using a third NIC (Thunderbolt -> Ethernet) to connect my Mac to my S6. i have an external DHCP router (Cisco RV325) so my Mac, my DAD AX32, and my S6 ethernet switch all connect to the Cisco to be on the same network. this all works fine.

on my Mac when i try to connect to smb://s6mastermodule i get the error: "The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time". i have tried changing the "Set Service Order" in /System Prefs/Network/ to make the Thunderbolt Ethernet be the first/top NIC, but this still does not work.

is there something that must be set in the MTM to get SMB file sharing to work as shown in your post?

thanks
Old 10-06-2019, 10:54 AM
Avid

Greetings,

Did you make the workstation (MTM) from Windows (as Admin) discoverable as well as creating shares for volumes or directories? I have the entire C:\ drive shared as well as a separate share for the (hidden) directory ProgramData.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-09-2019, 08:43 AM

Jeff,

thanks, i got this working. i gather these are the steps:

1. in the S6 CP make the MTM "discoverable" on the network and enable "file & printer" sharing

2. enable sharing on the "C" drive of the S6 (and any other connected drives, like a USB stick for example)

3. on the Mac make the NIC connected to the S6 network highest/first in the service order (otherwise the SMB connection will not work)

4. connect to smb://s6mastermodule using "administrator | password" as the login credentials.

Jeff, anything i am missing here? thanks.