Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2019, 10:53 PM

Default Avid S3 or S6 with Logic, Reason and Cubase - for composing, not mixing!

Hello everybody!

I would like to know if any of you here have experience here using an Avid control surface like S3 (or even S6) with a DAW other than Pro Tools. Especially Logic, Cubase and Reason (although the latter does not have EUCON support, consider using via MCU).

On the website, Avid says it's compatible. But I'd like to know about the quality/depth of this integration and the ability to control virtual instrument parameters (does it show up on screens? flip on faders? etc.) , not just the basic play/stop and volume using faders.

The idea is to be able to use a control surface not only for mixing, but also in the creating/composing process, controlling synths and such, trying to stay as far away from the mouse and computer screen as possible.

I appreciate any help/input on this.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2019, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Avid S3 or S6 with Logic, Reason and Cubase - for composing, not mixing!

You may get better advice from the forums for those programs. Ask how Eucon works for them

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-26-2019, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Avid S3 or S6 with Logic, Reason and Cubase - for composing, not mixing!

Logic Pro X is fantastic with S3 and Dock
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 07-31-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Logic Pro X is fantastic with S3 and Dock
mattrixx, please, could you be more specific?
Besides the basic fader control (which I hope it works)... what else?

Can you control using knobs (or even flipping faders) third-party plugin parameters? Do you also use it controlling virtual synthesizers, for example?

Thank you!
Old 07-31-2019, 11:09 PM

Yes of course... all of the above and more. You can also assign Eucon Macros to user touch strip as well as customisation of other functions.
It works really really well.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 08-04-2019, 04:48 AM

You can search my old posts for some details on using an S3 with Cubase. In a nutshell, it's very good and extremely well integrated but with two major issues:

1. If you hide tracks in Cubase, they will still appear on the control surface - very annoying!

2. You can get small errors in channel volume when banking the controller and touching a fader. Depending on how you work, this could be insignificant or it could be a problem.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q View Post
You can search my old posts for some details on using an S3 with Cubase. In a nutshell, it's very good and extremely well integrated but with two major issues:

1. If you hide tracks in Cubase, they will still appear on the control surface - very annoying!

2. You can get small errors in channel volume when banking the controller and touching a fader. Depending on how you work, this could be insignificant or it could be a problem.
Well... amazingly, you can now scrap issue number two from my list above as this has now at long last been fixed in the latest Eucon update.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q View Post
Well... amazingly, you can now scrap issue number two from my list above as this has now at long last been fixed in the latest Eucon update.
Thanks for your input J-S-Q!
Old 08-05-2019, 09:32 AM
Avid

Issue 1 is down to Steinberg to change unfortunately.