Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 05-26-2012, 09:16 AM

Yes unless you go HD you're limited to 32 I/O. However you could always track in another app (cough, cough, reaper, cough) and then import into PT. I know that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2012, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Fly Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Yes unless you go HD you're limited to 32 I/O. However you could always track in another app (cough, cough, reaper, cough) and then import into PT. I know that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
works quite well. I do it each week with an m7 and ethersound. as for the RME Madiface. It is a solid device that is worth the purchase if your doing anything madi. Also Digico has their USB madi interface out. found here.

http://www.digico.biz/docs2/products/UB_MADI.shtml

Saw it at NAMM this last year, and it looks like a winner. It's also cheaper than the RME one, though not as many channels.
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core, 14gigs of ram
Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, 2.3Ghz i7, 16gigs of ram
Old 05-29-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ellis View Post
Thanks for the replies. I've never really looked into MADI but that seems like the best option for this application as far as I can tell.

I have PT LE on my laptop... I guess MADI would work for that but I only get 32 channels right?
No, PT LE will do only up to 18 tracks. PT 9 & 10 can do 32. For more than 32 tracks you either get a HD system with HD cards (HDx into VENUE, HD Native card ((cheapest)) for your computer, that needs to be tower with PCIe) or MADI card for VENUE and MADI card for laptop and another recording software, like Reaper that is cheap and should have no track number limitations. I don't own it so I don't know the details.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:11 PM

Resurrecting this ancient thread to post on a new workflow. I have a 3sp rack with the new RME Madiface XT interface and a rackmounted Mac Mini. Currently I'm tracking 64 channels flawlessly to the mini from my profile with full virtual soundcheck capability. The interface has 3 Madi i/o's, so it would be capable of 192 channels at 48kHz, or 96 at 96kHz. Due to PT imposing a track count limit on non-Avid hardware, I'm using Reaper for my DAW and its working great. The only sacrifices are the benefits of VenueLink, and I really don't care about the "create session from Venue" aspect, since building a template is simple enough. I would certainly enjoy having snapshot markers automatically inserted in the record timeline, but I'm currently investigating MIDI options to do something like that.

Anyway, full tracking and virtual soundcheck capability in a half rackspace is nothing to sneeze at!