Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2012, 08:44 AM

Default FWx Compat / Usage Questions

I'm trying to have the ability to use some channels from the Venue's FWx, and other channels from an 002 Rack recorded into LE 8.

I don't have access to our Venue yet, and the FWx PDF guide was a little vague as to the details. I'm hoping the forum might be able to give insight on if what I need to achieve is possible, and any pros and cons you may have encountered with using the FWx card.

Many thanks!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Avid

Default Re: FWx Compat / Usage Questions

Pro Tools can only connect to 1 kind of Interface at a time (HD, 002, VENUE FWx, etc). You can not connect to to a VENUE via FWx and another Pro Tools peripheral at the same time. Why would you need some inputs from the 002. Could you not run all those signals into VENUE? What is the workflow?
Old 01-21-2012, 02:03 PM

One option which I have used is to create an aggregate device. and then tell protools that that is my interface. Unfortunately this is only available on PT9+ while using a mac, but it should solve your problem. I would demo PT10 and see if you can do it or not if you are using or have a mac lying around.
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core, 14gigs of ram
Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, 2.3Ghz i7, 16gigs of ram
Old 01-24-2012, 08:41 AM

Hey Doug and Tragic Dog, thanks for the replies!

Without ranting too long about the current state of the affairs, basically it's impossible cost and facilities wise for certain feeds to make it to the Venue; however, they still need to be recorded.

I was hoping for a situation along the lines of what you see with HD interfaces (PT showing multiple interfaces in the I/O setup), but from your feedback it appears this isn't possible in PT 8 LE, and needs 9+ for coreaudio aggregate devices.

I guess the only other question I have is: Does wordclock also need to be run simultaneously with the firewire from the Venue as well?
Old 01-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Avid

Hmmm. Even w/ 9 this will not work. Pro Tools only sees one type of interface at a time. You can't mix and match the VENUE interface w/ a core audio device. If you can't get the channels to VENUE, you will need another Pro Tools system or other recorder.