Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-04-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Highly disturbing

So I've got this multi-layered session playing with one little sequenced part that's playing off of my Roland JV-1010 when one of the notes gets stuck. I stop the session and I can't get the stuck MIDI note to stop so I try to turn down the channel but for some reason I can't move ANY of the faders in the mix window. The session isn't frozen, just all of the faders. I close the session and attempt to reopen it when I get this -> 'The "Open Session" command could not be completed because: an assertion occurred in "d:\code\vobs\AlturaPorts\PT4_App\Mdie\Mdie_Timing Service.cpp", line 217.'
Then I attempt to close Pro Tools and I get this -> 'The "Close" command could not be completed because: an assertion occurred in yada yada yada...
So I manually switch off my computer, relaunch PT, and then open my session back up but, BOOM!, I've lost everything but the drum tracks! Whoa. Luckily I had saved a copy of the session and I was able to import all the lost tracks except for ones I had just recorded even though I had been continually saving all throughout the recording.
After rerecording the two tracks that I did end up losing I'm playing back and the whole damn thing starts over. MIDI note gets stuck and it's deja vu from there. Except this time, fortunately, I didn't lose anything.
But I'm quite concerned about this problem that seems to be caused by the MIDI application somehow.
I should mention another weird thing that started happening with my JV-1010 last night. Basically it's decided that it doesn't want to play in tune anymore. It plays everything back a quarter step flat. I even tried fine tuning it in edit mode but it just goes right back to playing flat. Sometimes it will even do this warbly thing, like the sound of batteries in your tape player going dead. So I'm wondering if this could possibly have anything to do with it, although it doesn't seem likely because the Roland isn't connected directly to the computer or to my Mobo. I've got USB to a keyboard controller with MIDI out from that to the Roland and then audio from that into the Mobo.
Got any ideas about this?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Avid

Default Re: Highly disturbing

This is pure speculation, but possibly the battery or something else going wrong with the synth caused it to send out a bunch of garbage MIDI data that caused the lock up in Pro Tools?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:21 PM

Quote:
. I've got USB to a keyboard controller with MIDI out from that to the Roland and then audio from that into the Mobo.
Got any ideas about this?
Here's a possibilty. Does your controller have any midi thru settings? If so and it's enabled, with PT in midi thru mode, you're creating a midi feedback loop; sending it data twice. You'd have midi going controller to roland, controller to PT and midi thru from PT to controller to Roland...............

There's also the possibilty that your controller always passes incoming midi to the outgoing midi without being able to change that. If so, either disable midi thru in PT (probably not the way you'd like to work) or use another midi interface ( like an inexpensive MAudio Uno..............or is that actually Midiman Uno...) to attach the roland to the computer. Things might be more stable that way anyhow................

If any of this is the case, you can get some really strange behaviour. And until the parameters are reset by movement or a value change, some keyboards can stay in that state whether attached to midi or not. Sometimes even when power cycled. Sort of like leaving a pitch bend wheel full on, then disconnecting midi. It'll stay full on until something forces it to change like moving the wheel or reattaching midi and changing the value.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:22 PM

do you have a power supply to run your synth off of, or just batteries? I would say it sounds like bad Midi data also for some reason... might try running off AC adaptor if you have one, or switching up the batteries and running your synth again. You could also try starting a brand new session and composing a short tune with the same note in it and see if it does it. Could be the synth or session file you're working on. Goodluck
Old 10-04-2005, 11:27 PM

My controller is powered by USB off the computer which is how my MIDI data is being sent.
My Roland sound module runs on AC power supply. Here's the thing - I bought the last one in stock (they don't make these anymore) and nothing came with it, not even a power supply so I had to buy one from Radioshack, one of those big switchable ones. It carries 800 mA while the module calls for only 430 but it's my understanding that it's okay to have more mA than needed although I could definitely be wrong. One thing I just noticed is that the voltage is supposed to be 9V but somehow the power supply accidentally got switched to 12V. Hmm. I wonder how long ago that happened? In any case I've been using this unit for nearly three years any it's worked fine up until now.

I don't think I could be getting information into PT with Thru MIDI because the MIDI cable connected to the controller is coming out of a jack that's clearly marked "Out" and its other end is connected to a jack on the module clearly labeled "In." The only thing coming out from the faulty module is audio, going into the audio inputs of the Mobo. Now, the controller is sending information out to the computer via USB but it's just keystrokes. I don't think there's anything wrong with the controller.

Who knows?