Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 05-01-2019, 12:47 PM

Default Creating a targeted playlist

I have been given a session where multiple takes of several parts were each recorded on their own track (using Cubase, I believe). Consequently I've ended up with something like 130 tracks. What I need to do is set up playlists in PT from these so I can comp the different parts. I know I can set up playlists on one of the audio tracks and then just manually grab and silde each of the other takes off their original tracks into the new playlists. But that its bit time consuming. Is there a way to select, say, the audio on 5 tracks (or 10) and then in one move drop them all into a playlist on another track? I thought there was a way to do that by selecting a targeted playlist, but I can't seem to figure out how that works.

I hope this is making sense.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Creating a targeted playlist

That's not what targeted playlist does. Targeted playlist moves within a tracks playlisted versions where the targeted playlist becomes the comp track for selections.

For what you want to do, you might be able to use Field Recorder workflow. Set up one track with a "master take", then right click to select all possible from field recorder, and then choose "as playlist". That will only work if they (all audio options for that section) are all timestamped the same -- which should be true for multiple takes.

(doing this from memory for the terms so those may not be the exact menu options)
Old 05-01-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
That's not what targeted playlist does. Targeted playlist moves within a tracks playlisted versions where the targeted playlist becomes the comp track for selections.

For what you want to do, you might be able to use Field Recorder workflow. Set up one track with a "master take", then right click to select all possible from field recorder, and then choose "as playlist". That will only work if they (all audio options for that section) are all timestamped the same -- which should be true for multiple takes.

(doing this from memory for the terms so those may not be the exact menu options)

Okay, thanks. Be a nice feature to grab a bunch of individual tracks to drop into one playlist.

In this case, I just did the right click, move to playlist option for each one I needed to add to a playlist. A bit longer but not difficult.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:56 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought a "target playlist" can be the target for any track(meaning you SHOULD be able to promote to target from many source tracks). Did I mix that up?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-01-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought a "target playlist" can be the target for any track(meaning you SHOULD be able to promote to target from many source tracks). Did I mix that up?
Yes. That's wrong (unless you aren't using the standard vernacular.)
The target playlist is the target of playlisted versions of that track. Not the target of any track or any source track.

If I record 30 mics as a group and have 20 takes in playlists (normal process for film scoring), I can designate a target playlist for each track (so one for each of the 30 mics) that becomes the "target" for promotion while sorting through the 20 takes. At this point I have 30 targeted playlist tracks. You cannot promote from any "source" track -- it is only material on playlisted tracks that belong to the same track as the target playlist of that track.

As Avid puts it (pg 711 of the manual)
Quote:
Target Playlist
Pro Tools lets you designate any playlist on a track as the Target playlist. You can then use key commands to do the following when compositing—or “comping”—multiple takes of a performance:
• Quickly cycle through and audition Edit selections for clips in other playlists, whether in Waveform or Playlist view.
• Copy or move an Edit selection to the Target playlist from Waveform view without having to switch to Playlist view.
• Composite Grouped tracks.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post

That’s what I thought too. But I see no way to do it. Try it and see. You can’t select “Targeted playlist” if you select another track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-01-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Is there a way to select, say, the audio on 5 tracks (or 10) and then in one move drop them all into a playlist on another track.

Hey bud- have had to do this before - easiest way was this: (I'm on 2018.7, mac)

- turn on "suppress name dialogue for new playlists" in preferences
- create a new 1 audio track above all your other tracks, make sure it's selected.
- rename it whatever you want (ie. "Vocal Take" or something related to your files) with no number at the end.
- hold CTRL and press \ over and over until you create XX # of empty playlists, they will be auto-named (ie. Vocal Take.01, Vocal Take.02, etc)
- switch back to the original playlist before you started duplicating. (i.e. "Vocal Take")
- open playlist view on the new audio track and you'll have XX# of empty lanes to drag tracks on to that are in numerical order starting with .01
- highlight all the takes you have on separate audio tracks below this and drag them up as a group up to the blank playlist area you created.
- delete any unused playlists.

hope that helps!

Last edited by bolooki; 05-01-2019 at 09:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-02-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolooki View Post
Hey bud- have had to do this before - easiest way was this: (I'm on 2018.7, mac)

- turn on "suppress name dialogue for new playlists" in preferences
- create a new 1 audio track above all your other tracks, make sure it's selected.
- rename it whatever you want (ie. "Vocal Take" or something related to your files) with no number at the end.
- hold CTRL and press \ over and over until you create XX # of empty playlists, they will be auto-named (ie. Vocal Take.01, Vocal Take.02, etc)
- switch back to the original playlist before you started duplicating. (i.e. "Vocal Take")
- open playlist view on the new audio track and you'll have XX# of empty lanes to drag tracks on to that are in numerical order starting with .01
- highlight all the takes you have on separate audio tracks below this and drag them up as a group up to the blank playlist area you created.
- delete any unused playlists.

hope that helps!

That's an interesting work around. I will give it a try. Thanks!