Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-21-2002, 10:36 PM

Default Does the WAVES R. Compressor have factory presets like the DigiRack Compressor?

does it have similar factory presets ?
Old 05-21-2002, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Does the WAVES R. Compressor have factory presets like the DigiRack Compressor?

Yes. very similar. There's Vocals, Gtrs, program, pumping, all in Electro and Opto behaviour modes. The best presets however, imho, would be found in McDSP's compressorbank. Just my 02....
Old 05-22-2002, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Does the WAVES R. Compressor have factory presets like the DigiRack Compressor?

exactly what is electro / opto mode? what's the difference?

so the vocal factory preset sits well on vocals?
Old 05-22-2002, 05:48 AM

Electro and Opto are supposed to simulate the diffrent types of compressors and the way they "sense" the input. Check out the specs of any outboard compressor and it will say which one it uses.

I really like this plugin, but the presets are just a starting point, I have used them as tips, what some other engineer thinks good optical/fat compression, or a good master limiting setting should sound like, then I tweak to taste.

One other thing I love is the display. For folks trying to really understand what compression does, I always show them this plugin because I feel it does a good job of "showing" what each term means and what goes on as you change the settings.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:02 AM

wow. the ren comp sounds like a winner. It's a good thing for presets, cause I would be totally lost. I still don't quite get the full function of a compressor and when and on what to use it for. All I know that people use it almost all the time on vocals.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:37 PM

plug one...plug two...Is De La Soul in the house?
Old 05-22-2002, 04:08 PM

Did IK buy BombFactory? Or maybe they just hired Jason?

Well, at least I really like the bombfactory plugs.

3 Feet high, and Rising? Black Medallions, No Gold.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:22 PM

buddy buddy buddy all in my face
Old 05-23-2002, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by valvebrother:
Did IK buy BombFactory? Or maybe they just hired Jason?

Well, at least I really like the bombfactory plugs.

3 Feet high, and Rising? Black Medallions, No Gold.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">At least he is being clear about who he is and who he works for. I'll take honest promotion anyday.

encephalon
Old 05-23-2002, 01:15 AM

You really can't make a preset for a compressor.

You always need to carefully adjust the compressor to match the source material and get the desired effect.

One setting for vocals won't necessarily work on another vocal take from the same vocalist -- let alone someone else's voice.

The Bomb Factory manual contains a detailed section describing how a compressor works and how to use one. It's a free download from www.bombfactory.com.

You may also want to grab our demos and use them as a way to learn more about the art of compression.

When you're just starting out, it's virtually impossible to learn how to use a compressor given some of the more "modern" designs. There's just too many tweaky little settings to deal with for a beginner.

In contrast, the LA-2A has two big knobs and one big meter, which makes it pretty easy to figure out what's going on.

It's a good place to start--in fact, it's how most analog engineers started learning about compression.