Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM

Default Multiple devices via midi to 003

Hi guys,
First of all, I apologize if it's been answered. I've been scouring the web and the DUC and just don't get it. Can someone please try to help out on this. Here's the deal...

I have a Yamaha MOTIF and Roland V-Drums. I'm trying to make my studio so that I have to move no wires at all ever. I'm all set except for the midi business.

How do I get the MOTIF and the VDrums into the 003 so that they are recognized independently and can record MIDI simultaneously to separate tracks? I'm looking at 2x2 interfaces, midi merge boxes, midiing through one, etc. I'm not sure what the move is here. I can make either one of them work just fine right now by moving cables around. But this is what I'm trying to avoid.

Things I'm not sure about...
1. If I use a midi merge box, can I just assign keys to ch. 1 and Vdrums to 10 and record to the two tracks? Or will it just see one or the other...as it's merging to one midi out?

2. What's the point of two midi outs on the 003 and only one in??

3. Is something like a Motu 2x2 what I need vs. the midi merge box?

Thank you all kindly, I'm sure it's been answered but I can't make sense of it all.

DIGI 003 running on Intel PC...

-= Beer
Old 04-05-2013, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Multiple devices via midi to 003

A merge box will work, but I would recommend the MOTU FastLane USB 2x2. I started with a Motif es8 and Roland TD10 kit. Had them both going to a merge box into the 1 midi input, and the 2 separate outs fed the 2 devices. Eventually, I ended up with a 3rd midi controller for organ playing(weighted keys are not so good for that) and added an M-Audio UNO. The UNO worked fine under Windows XP but would not work with Windows 7, so its gone and I replaced it with the MOTU box. Now, I no longer need to send midi back to the Roland kit(no longer using the onboard sounds) so the Roland kit feeds midi in via the 003 midi input, and the MOTU box handles midi to/from the Motif and midi FROM the Ensoniq for rogan(yes, the original Mirage). Roland kit is set for the 003 input and channel 10 only, Ensoniq is set for MOTU in A on channel 1(can't change it anyway) and Motif is set to MOTU in/out B on all channels(this is all in Setup>Midi>Midi Studio). I can toss up 3 stereo instrument tracks, set the instrument input(the topmost box of MIX window when you select it under VIEW>Mix Windows Shows). Insert Addictive drums on the track set for the Roland kit, MiniGrand on the track set for Motif and DB-33 on the track set for Ensoniq. Put the 3 tracks into record(hold Alt and click RECORD on any of them) and start playing. 3 midi sources feeding 3 VI's, totally independent

The Midi Studio setup is crucial because Instrument and MIDI tracks default to receiving ANY midi signal. I create a template session and set these 3 tracks with everything assigned, and when I want any or all, instead of adding a new track, I would use the Import Session Data command and import the track(s) I needed from the instrument template session. Of course, with PT10, you can save track presets(hit youtube for the video) so now I have track presets saved.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-05-2013, 04:23 PM

Dang Albee, you always answer my questions!
You are genius... so the MOTU goes to USB in and the keys and drums would go into it? I don't foresee any need of a third instrument yet. I take it there's some software to keep track of it all? Or does protools just see it coming in depending on input and channel selected?

I'm ordering one now! Unless you see a problem with PT8 and this setup?

-= Beer
Old 04-06-2013, 01:48 AM

You can use both channels of the MOTU if you like(which would leave the 003 midi connections open for future addition). Not sure of any system details, but the MOTU has worked great here on Windows 7(can't remember if I bought it before or after leaving XP). I had to jump on this as our setups are so similar. Once you install the MOTU driver, do the setup in Midi Studio and you should be good to go(midi has always been a love/hate thing for me). When it works, I love it......when it doesn't.......................

Old 04-06-2013, 10:15 AM

I hear ya! MIDI definately pays off when the drummer wants a particular kick on the TD9 and I don't like it. LOL, he leaves, I switch the kick, noone's the wiser! Drummers on that thing always pick some crazy big ass kick and then it wrecks the bottom end.

Motu will be here Friday! I'll be back with more questions I'm sure...:) PT has been pretty stable lately...fingers crossed. Thanks for your input on that one Albee. I hooked in an ADAT recently I got for $50 on craigslist...8 more ins, works great..highly recommended cheap studio addition!

-= Beer
Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerosaurus View Post
I hear ya! MIDI definately pays off when the drummer wants a particular kick on the TD9 and I don't like it. LOL, he leaves, I switch the kick, noone's the wiser! Drummers on that thing always pick some crazy big ass kick and then it wrecks the bottom end.

Motu will be here Friday! I'll be back with more questions I'm sure...:) PT has been pretty stable lately...fingers crossed. Thanks for your input on that one Albee. I hooked in an ADAT recently I got for $50 on craigslist...8 more ins, works great..highly recommended cheap studio addition!

-= Beer
Well, cheap is fine to a point, but consider....the old ADAT is likely 16 bit(I always record at 24 bit for the extra headroom) and 20 year old converters, so I'll leave you some recommendations for an upgrade on that port. Behringer ADA8000(cheap, but decent and should be an improvement) and my favorite "bang for the buck", the Focusrite OctoPre Mk II Dynamic. This model(over the non-Dynamic model) adds compressors(simple but useful) and 8 more outputs via the lightpipe OUT of the 003(custom headphone mixes???). There are "better" options, but this is the sweet spot AFAIC

Old 04-07-2013, 11:22 AM

Good Morning Albee!
Thanks for the suggestions... the Behringer may be an option, but $700 isn't right now. LOL The ADAT is working for my purposes at the moment. I can hear the difference between 24 and 16 in the studio, but in real life, it's not that much of a factor to my ears. Especially once it's dithered down etc...

Check this... quick little ditty I busted out using the ADAT entirely as a test once I got it working... it's pretty clean.

http://ivanpla.com/FunStuff/AshleysSong.wav

I'll pick up that behringer eventually I think. But right now I'm trying to concentrate on making the studio 100% no unplugging! I'm soo close, just waiting on the Motu I think...

-= Beer
Old 04-07-2013, 09:12 PM

Can't hear the tune as I have Scripts disabled on this machine. I found my Mk II Dynamic for $450 used(mint), so at least shop around first(Presonus D8 is also a step up and under $400).

Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 AM

Oh cool, I'll keep those in the database for future reference! Thanks again Albee, you're always a great help!

-= Beer