Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 03-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Default New To MIDI _ NEed Help, Please

I just got an old Alesis QS8 keyboard and I'm trying to get MIDI working. I use PTLE 7.1 on a PC and an Mbox2.

The instructional DVD doesn't explain this well -- or else I'm just not getting it. Maybe there's a link with clear step-by-step instruction, or perhaps someone can walk me through the process.

Here's what I've been able to do:

First off, I'm using the ALesis to generate the sounds, and have connected to the Mbox2 with standard 5 pin MIDI cables. When recording, I create a a MIDI channel and record to that. I'm able to hear the correct sounds on playback, if I connect the OUts of the keyboard to the INs of the Mbox. However, I realize that I'm not recording the sound -- just MIDI data. SO, how do I get to the next step?

The DVD says to create an AUX track and route to that, but the example is using Sampletank, which can be inserted on the MIDI and AUX tracks. What to do when the keyboard is a slave? I haven't been able to insert the Alesis (maybe here's the problem -- setup is incorrect?).

Can anyone help? If this isn;t clear, I'll provide more info -- sorry to sound thick here, but I'm pulling my hair put.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Old 03-09-2008, 05:00 AM

Default Re: New To MIDI _ NEed Help, Please

You connect the audio outputs of the Alesis to the audio inputs of the Mbox, and record to an audio track. I guess you already have the Alesis connected to the Mbox since you can hear the sounds? If so, choose the audio inputs where the Alesis is connected in PT, and record.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:30 AM

Thank you for the help. But isn't this really the same as recording audio (WAV) files? I realize I'd have the MIDI editing functions, but what if I want to change the keyboard sound after I've recorded it (let's say I want to change a piano to a harpsichord). The audio file has already been recorded -- do I have to rerecord the whole thing?

And what if I want to record multiple MIDI tracks (sequenced or nor). I'd need an Audio track for each MIDI track?

Is this the only way PTLE handles MIDI?

Andy

Old 03-10-2008, 05:18 AM

Quote:
However, I realize that I'm not recording the sound -- just MIDI data. SO, how do I get to the next step?
I thought the next step would be to record the audio? Keep the MIDI track so that you can change the sound and arrangement at any time.

Pro Tools doesn't have offline rendering features. But then again, you are talking about an external synth, so that wouldn't work anyway.

Quote:
And what if I want to record multiple MIDI tracks (sequenced or nor). I'd need an Audio track for each MIDI track?
You don't NEED an audio track per MIDI track. It really depends on you, and the song. Do you like the sound, then smack them all together on one stereo audio track. But this means that you can't go in and tweak that darn synth pad that's too loud in the choruses. If you keep tracks separated you can develop the mix naturally, as mixing is an ongoing process, and small changes are made all the time.

Turning MIDI tracks into audio is a natural progression for me, but this might not meet your expectations?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 AM

Thanks again -- upon experimenting last night, this makes more sense to me. The problem I was having was more a question of "plumbing" - how do you get the sound now that you have the data. But it's working now, aside from some line noise I'm getting (I posted separately about that). Thanks for all your help -- if you have any insights to my line noise problem, please chime in

ANdy