Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 06-27-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Yet another question for the firewire 1814

Ok. This is the second audio interface I have bought from M-audio. The first one I had Died 3 months after I bought it and they won't fix it because all I have for a receipt is from an online purchase. It was the omnistudio usb. I figured it was because it was a cheap model so I would take the chance and buy on of the best they got... I bought the firewire 1814 and pt m powered about ummmm at the end of May. Lets not get on the subject of not being able to use PT since I bought it because of the whole tiger situation, but has anybody had any problems with cracks and pops when not running an app?? As soon as I start an app it goes away but when i'm working on a webpage I have to turn my speakers off before I kill someone it's so loud????? I contacted m-audio and they said stuff about the buffer and that didn't work, they said the driver was bad and I needed to reinstall it, that didn't work, the brand new driver didn't chang it??? Another thing that pisses me off is that when I trun my computer on the Pan is always to one side??????????????? what is going on here??? And when I turm down the volume on the unit itself it pans to one side... Can anyone tell me whats going on, am I the only one, (judging by this forum I know that isn't true).. please relieve me of this M-Audio pain.....
Old 06-29-2005, 11:39 AM
Avid

Default Re: Yet another question for the firewire 1814

Please provide specific information about your computer model, OS version, any attached peripherals and any other info that may help us diagnose your problem.

I'm assuming you've tried all the 'General Troubleshooting' steps in the sticky at the top of the Mac/LE forum - if not, start there.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:02 PM

Hi, I just got the 1814 and Pro Tools M-Powered 7 and have the same problem from the beggining despite of respecting all precautions noted in manual and all general troubleshooting solutions tryed. Hope we're going to find the solution quickly.

I work on:
Powerbook G4 1,67 Ghz
1,5 Gb RAM
Tiger OS X 10.4.3 (tryed on OS X 10.4.2 also)
Additional DSP: TC Electronic Powercore Compact with FX-Pansion VST-RTAS Wrapper (still doesnt work good with Tiger)

ProFire Lightbridge
SSL XLogic Alpha-Link AX
SSL X-Desk
Old 12-08-2005, 04:53 PM

I'm actually just coming back to using the 1814 box after having it on the shelf for a while and this thread caught my eye b/c I'm considering moving from LE to MP. I use an 1814 mostly for use with Logic, but also experience the 'pops' whenever the hardware is not in use. I've done quite a bit of troubleshooting on it, and even had a dialog going with M-Audio several months ago via email about it before I had to turn my attention to other things.

I never found a definite solution, but on my setup it seems to be somewhat tied to the number & kind of other firewire devices on my machine, as well as what port is used by the 1814. I've had the best luck with the FW1814 on the front port of my G5, or even better on my 3rd party PCI Firewire card FW400 port. Also, limiting the number of firewire drives plugged in seems to help - I have several that just sit attached, and even if not on, disconnecting them seems to increase the chances the 1814's won't pop. Currently I leave it plugged into the PCI card port and it's been pretty stable, at least for the past couple days I've been playing with it again.

I should mention that in the past on occasion, going into the 1814's control panel and randomly clicking through some of the digitial input/sync options would solve it, but that has actually decreased with the release of the last few driver releases from what I can tell.

G5 Dual 2.5ghz / 2.5gb RAM / 2x160gb SATA / Mbox w/LE 7.0 / FW1814 (for coreaudio apps)
Old 02-12-2006, 05:33 AM

I just tryed everything and couldn't make it operational so I returned the hardware to the manufacturer couple of days ago for a test and replacement 'cause I think that its definitely broken. They will respond in a three weeks or so, untill then... fortunately I haven't sold my M-Box.
ProFire Lightbridge
SSL XLogic Alpha-Link AX
SSL X-Desk