Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Pro Limiter AAX DSP

Just watched this video from ProTools Expert blog's Mike Thornton and apparently there's some confusion with the manual about the loudness metering section and what standards are used. One section uses the K system but it's not said which of the 3 it uses. Another issue is that the loudness metering section part of the window on the left uses the EBU R128 spec with no way to change it to the US spec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbykT...em-uploademail

QAPLA!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
Nice web link.
Nice nonsense post too.
Yeah - I went 'round with him on that link in his sig file some years back and he doesn't see anything wrong with it.

QAPLA!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Just watched this video from ProTools Expert blog's Mike Thornton and apparently there's some confusion with the manual about the loudness metering section and what standards are used. One section uses the K system but it's not said which of the 3 it uses. Another issue is that the loudness metering section part of the window on the left uses the EBU R128 spec with no way to change it to the US spec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbykT...em-uploademail
Firstly, all the loudness meters use 1770 standard of some form. So basically the same except when they gate the loudness measurement. Secondly, it's k20 as in 20 dB of dynamic range. At least that is what I think it is. I know it's 100% good for the US as I've mixed 2 TV shows on it yesterday and today and it is 100% the same loudness reading as my LM100, which I'm going to sell if I can still get a few bucks for it.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:47 PM

Nope strike out for me McDSP Retro limiter & Sonnox Inflator wipe the floor up against Pro Limiter.
Yep this should be a free PT plugin ... Not worth it IMO.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchwood Studios View Post
Nope strike out for me McDSP Retro limiter & Sonnox Inflator wipe the floor up against Pro Limiter.
Yep this should be a free PT plugin ... Not worth it IMO.
That's an odd comparison as they don't even do the same thing. I mean they Re similar but reto limiter isn't true peak and the inflator doesn't limit. While we're at it revibe is better than the retro limiter?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Firstly, all the loudness meters use 1770 standard of some form. So basically the same except when they gate the loudness measurement. Secondly, it's k20 as in 20 dB of dynamic range. At least that is what I think it is. I know it's 100% good for the US as I've mixed 2 TV shows on it yesterday and today and it is 100% the same loudness reading as my LM100, which I'm going to sell if I can still get a few bucks for it.
Not saying it isn't good for the US but it should be able to be switched between whatever standard is used, like Ozone 5 Advanced and Insight can be switched.

QAPLA!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Avid

Thumbs up Re: Pro Limiter AAX DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanners View Post
Having issues getting the trial, says it is not available for my ilok account? Ilok say its an Avid issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleiweke View Post
Same here.
The Webteam just alerted us that the Free Trial at http://www.avid.com/products/pro-limiter is fixed. Thanks for your patience!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
I agree about all loudness meters use a form of BS 1770. But the manual says it is R128 and 1770-3 compliant. I don't doubt you got compliant mixes with it because all the standards are so close to each other but my main issue is with the ambiguous manual that seems to have got various standards and formats mixed up. It reads as if it was thrown together at the last minute by someone who doesn't have a full understanding of the loudness issues. There is already plenty of confusion about the whole issue of loudness and how to implement it without Avid adding to it.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:30 AM

Quote:
As I understand it, the ATSC A85 spec does not include gating which means if you're mixing a program without large dynamic differences you should get pretty much the same reading with EBU R128 as with an ATSC A85 compliant loudness meter. However, if you are mixing a program with dynamics which would trigger the gating then there could well be different readings between the two standards. Without a lot of testing, I wouldn't trust an R128 only meter to always provide reliable metering for material which has to comply with ATSC A85.

G
Old 03-03-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Where is the Sonnox AAX limiter whether with or without DSP?
Sonnox Inflator is a limiter it's AAX DSP and it crushes Pro Limiter very low latency too.
Avid needs to be working on AAX Echo Farm ....