Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-05-2003, 07:02 AM

Default OT - ...very interesting, Pearl Jam\'s freedom from under EPIC\'s thumb!

What do you guys make of this..?

Pearl Jam is free of EPIC's thumb
Old 06-05-2003, 07:46 AM

Default Re: OT - ...very interesting, Pearl Jam\'s freedom from under EPIC\'s thumb!

Interesting article indeed and besides funny too.

Quote:
L.A. music attorney Kenneth Freundlich of Schleimer & Freundlich estimates ...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you know what "Schleimer" & "Freundlich" literally means you´ll be laughing your head off, especially as it is about attorneys.

Similarily to this passage:
Quote:
What do bands get from labels? They get a big chunk of change up front when they sign a typical high profile seven-album deal like Pearl Jam did 10 years ago. Everyone likes a large lump sum of money: Debts can be repaid, substantial down payments can be made on cars and houses, drugs can be purchased in bulk at a substantial savings — wait — scratch that.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2003, 10:06 AM

Default Re: OT - ...very interesting, Pearl Jam\'s freedom from under EPIC\'s thumb!

...I say well done, and good luck !
And you can bet that if one of these mega-bands makes it big outside the conventional industry, there's gonna be many more wanting to get out.
Good. Let them keep Mariah and Celine, that'll teach them [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
... but Pearl Jam can only do that because of their status, which they achieved in part because of the big label. So, great, but it's going to take a while before us plonkers can stop begging for a deal... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
A good buddy of mine got signed to Sony France a few years ago. Along with his contract, he required "one gold lamé suit" and a "video shoot in Miami"... he meant it as a joke, but he got both... We still laugh about it (and of course he is no longer with Sony, but does very well through and indie label with a big distribution)... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2003, 10:52 AM

my feeling is that the whole p2p thing will be as big an adjustment for the music industry as mtv was.

Record companies have survived cassette tapes, and they'll survive this. In my view it's just a cyclical market correction.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:47 AM

hopefully more so bp.
I love it. I have been angry at the labels for years and finally I am hoping to see the whole system turned upside down.
BRING IT ON!!