Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 PM

Default Can I upgrade to Pro Tools 11 with my old equipment?

I am working on Pro Tools 8 with Vista 32bits and the 33 Rack+...it's working well but since I have bought some great new sounds I seem to have too little RAM (6GO but vista only uses 4) and would like to add a few more but vista 32 doesn't allow it..so I have a PC with an NVIDIA geforce graphic card, an Intel Quad processor at 2.50 GHZ each and was wondering if I could update to windows 7 (or if the vista 64bits would work) and then get the Pro Tools 11....otherwise is there any Pro Tools version that is working on a vista 64 bits and that I could still buy?
Thank you for your answers

oh, by the way, I'm new here :)
Old 10-28-2013, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Can I upgrade to Pro Tools 11 with my old equipment?

Welcome aboard. Vista 64 bit is a no go...period. I assume you mean 003, not 33.

Posting a Sandra report(check this link Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting! ) is the best way to get the best advice, but having said that, if your rig runs LE8 fairly well, it SHOULD run Windows 7 and PT10/11. Get Win7 74 bit to take advantage of the extra RAM. 6GB may not be a lot by today's standards, but its better than 4, and Win7 64 bit will give a little boost in performance(depending on the motherboard, you might easily add more RAM too).

Some info about 10 and 11; the driver for the 003 is now a separate download and install(IOW, install the driver BEFORE installing Pro Tools). You DON'T need LE8 installed to update(you would be uninstalling it first, anyway). You WILL need an iLok for PT9 and later, and you will need an iLok2 for PT11, so if you don't own an iLok, just buy the new version, or buy a plugin that comes with a free iLok2(like from Slate Digital for instance).

When you buy 10 software, new, it will likely include a free update to 11. If you buy 11 new, the iLok asset will include 10(so you can run both on the same machine, if you install 10.3.7). Why would you do this? Because PT11 does NOT work with ANY RTAS plugins(but 10 DOES, so you can work with old favorites in 10, until they all get updated to the new 64 bit AAX format). Some plugins you may have in LE8 may require updates to work in 10 as well(like Waves or Autotune, depending on the versions you now have). There's more, but this covers the most important stuff.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave