Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2015, 05:13 PM

Default Pro Tools hardware is either not installed or in use by another program

I'm starting to believe PT gets mad at me when I abandon it for a while. I haven't fired it up in a couple of months and now I get this error message:

"pro tools hardware is either not installed or in use by another program"

Everything is connected the same way it always has been, I checked System Preferences>Sound and both input and output are selected to "Built in"…

Nothing I found online regarding this issue has helped me solve it. Anyone have any ideas?

PT 10
Apple IMac running Mac OS 10.8.5
Using a DIGI 002 and a Focusrite Octopre.

Thanks for any help!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools hardware is either not installed or in use by another program

Since its a DIGI002, I would be suspect of the old "power harness" issue Also, if you ever "hot-patched" the firewire, that can often fry the circuit in the 002(or 003). The repair is expensive enough that I would just buy a new interface.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 11-23-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools hardware is either not installed or in use by another program

power harness? Can you explain please?

And I don't know what you mean by "hot-patch"… I've been using the same setup for years… No changes.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:28 AM

"hot-patch" means to connect or disconnect while everything is powered on. Doing this with DIGI002 and 003 can(and usually will) fry the circuit in the interface, the computer, or both. The repair of the 003 was $329, 3 years ago by a very good local shop that has the micro-circuitry tools required. Other places replace the entire circuit board(closer to $500 total).

The power harnesses in almost every 002(rack or mixer) fail due to oxidation of the pins and sockets on the molex connectors. Very often, you can get a "quick fix" by reseating the connections several times to scrape away the oxidation and this is certainly worth a try(if you have already verified that the firewire port on the computer is still working by connecting a FW drive to test).

For 002rack, its really easy. Pop the top with the unit facing you. PSU is on the right side panel. Work the 2 connections on the PSU, then folow the harness out to 2 more(on 2 circuit boards. Work each connector off and on at least 6 times and you might be good to go(for 6 months anyway)

002 mixer is a little tougher. Lay the mixer face down on a towel and remove the screws from the entire edge of the bottom. Lift it slowly up until you can reach the PSU that is bolted to the bottom. Note how the connections fit, unplug and set aside. Follow the power harness out to 3 circuit boards. 1 is underneath on the PCB with the midi and FW connections, but you should still be able to work that one. Work all those connections 5-6 times and re-assemble. Cross your fingers

Old 11-24-2015, 08:15 PM

Well I was pretty sure it was not a power problem and after some tinkering around I figured out what was wrong.

I opened Audio MIDI Setup and deleted the Pro Tools Aggregate… Voila…

Old 11-24-2015, 09:15 PM

Regarding the power supply harness issue-it affected all 002 consoles and racks that had a serial number ending in A thru G. At the time, Digidesign (remember them?) had a wonderfully generous replacement parts policy. And if you open it up, you can tell the revised version, because the wires went into and back out of the Molex connectors, instead of across it. I've fixed 3 of these with their free replacement parts kits, but I'm guessing that isn't an option anymore.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Regarding the power supply harness issue-it affected all 002 consoles and racks that had a serial number ending in A thru G. At the time, Digidesign (remember them?) had a wonderfully generous replacement parts policy. And if you open it up, you can tell the revised version, because the wires went into and back out of the Molex connectors, instead of across it. I've fixed 3 of these with their free replacement parts kits, but I'm guessing that isn't an option anymore.
Pretty sure those are long gone. Since the 002 wasn't that good, and now PT works with most everything, they aren't worth repair costs, but I'm happy the OP got things working again

Old 11-25-2015, 09:21 AM

I'm having this same problem. I just bought a focusrite 6i6 yesterday, and I'm trying to open up my Pro Tools 10, but it wont even open...So I don't know how to change any settings or anything. I have my interface plugged in my computer, so I don't understand why I'm getting this error message. I downloaded everything that the instruction booklet said to download in the packaging of the focusrite. A little confused. Please help! I'm super new to this stuff. lol
Old 11-25-2015, 10:54 AM

Go to Control Panel-Sound-and make sure that the Focusrite is NOT the default Windows audio playback device. Choose the onboard sound card for that, and let Pro Tools have the only access to the Focusrite.