Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 11-14-2015, 05:12 PM

Default Anybody using Focusrite Clarett Thunderbolt Audio Interfaces with pro tools 11/12

Hello out there In music land. Its been a while since i've posted on this avid pro audio community, but i figured it was time to do so. Was wondering if anybody has had any first hand experience with using the New Focusrite Clarett THUNDERBOLT audio interfaces in their home recording studio setups.

I purchased a new computer this past summer (Mac Book PRO) , SOUped up 15 inch running on yosemity 10.10.4 2.8 ghz 16 gigs of ram Thunderbolt connectivity hubs etc.
and my old audio interface (mbox 2 digidesign) just will not work with it.

my old home studio setup consisted of the USB m-box 2 on a 2007 2.3 GHZ power pc Mac running pro tools 7.4 LE think it was tiger and I had 8 gigs of ECC Ram on it.

Since my M-box 2 will not work on my new computer i have really been thinking hard about getting a new audio interface to take advantage of all the new recording possibillities I would Have If i were to utilize my new Mac book pro and a new Audio interface Thunderbolt capability

Does anybody think That the Clarett Thunderbolt Audio interface would be a good choice compared to the other thunderbolt audio interfaces out there on the market currently to use with my mac book pro and possibly either pro tools 11 or 12 ???????????

I've been waiting for some time now to upgrade my home recording setup. I wanted to wait for the thunderbolt connectivity option from audio interface to pc and that option is finally her for me

Thank you very much - For any addition insight on this topic

Im super stoked that the thunderbolt audio interfaces are starting to catch on ___ LOW Latency is our Friend

VOX BIG BAD WAH
DMC Ground Control Pro
MORLEY HUM Eliminator
Ibanez Guitars JEM/RG/Classical
Pro-Tools Recording Setup
m box 2 pro tools 7.4 le on my old power pc mac 2.3 ghz duo core 8 gig ecc ram
THE OLD-ModelA1117 G5 Power pc mac dual core 2.3 Ghz, 6GigsECC Ram10.4.11 OSX Tiger,Mbox2,le 7.4, Ez Quest Pro Audio Firewire 800 250 GB external Hard drive, 20" Cinema Display Screen THE NEW - MAC BOOK PRO 15in retina display 2.8ghz 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/Coming soon-Clarett 2pre/Pro tools 12.2 Mesa boogie stiletto ace head/2x12 rectifiercab/DMC Ground controlpro/TC gmajor2/MaxonOD9proplus/DR. rhythm 670/MorleyHUMeliminator/Ibanez guitars JEM/RG/ classical/Sennheiserguitar Mic EVOLUTION E906
Old 11-15-2015, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Anybody using Focusrite Clarett Thunderbolt Audio Interfaces with pro tools 11/12

I'm interested as well. Time to retire my 002R.
I plan on going to 12.3

Clarett TB might be just what I need.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Anybody using Focusrite Clarett Thunderbolt Audio Interfaces with pro tools 11/12

I'm curious why the Mbox 2 won't run on your new MBP. Connectivity?
Old 11-15-2015, 03:32 PM

I tried booting up the software/drivers from a cd that came with my pro tools m-box, but you see it isn't designed to run with my computer. There were two discs that came with my m -box 2 digidesign audio interface. one that was ONLY FOR POWER MACINTOSH based m box 2 system. Pro tools le 6.8.1
The other disc was for Windows XP based pc systems Pro tools le 7.

My new Mac book pro is neither seeing that Macintosh did away with their power based pc Macs around 2008, ( I believe this is when the mac's became intel based processing which really sucked because it limited the amount of upgrading I could do, and pro tools eventually stopped making products that ran on that old architecture.

so neither is my computer windows based nor power mac based now

they since have made drivers that i believe you could download from the digidesign that would help the m box 2 function on newer computers, but I couldn't find an available driver to download that would make my MBP running 10.10.4 yosemity work with the old m-box 2. Maybe they will make one, but i think they would rather get people to spend money on some of the newer products on the market.
THE OLD-ModelA1117 G5 Power pc mac dual core 2.3 Ghz, 6GigsECC Ram10.4.11 OSX Tiger,Mbox2,le 7.4, Ez Quest Pro Audio Firewire 800 250 GB external Hard drive, 20" Cinema Display Screen THE NEW - MAC BOOK PRO 15in retina display 2.8ghz 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3/Coming soon-Clarett 2pre/Pro tools 12.2 Mesa boogie stiletto ace head/2x12 rectifiercab/DMC Ground controlpro/TC gmajor2/MaxonOD9proplus/DR. rhythm 670/MorleyHUMeliminator/Ibanez guitars JEM/RG/ classical/Sennheiserguitar Mic EVOLUTION E906
Old 11-15-2015, 03:39 PM

Have you tried any of these drivers here:

Check these first \\

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=337406

This is the Avid page but the same drivers with a little info aswell.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...Mbox-2-Drivers

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-26-2015, 10:07 AM

thanks for the info.

I actually decided to put the m box 2 to bed. I used it for many years, and even if one of those drivers could possibly work, i decided i didn't want to to be using an outdated audio interface any longer. It worked fine with my old computer, but i figured i would take advantage of using my new computer (thunderbolt) for recording purposes.
Plus at this point in my life I'm financially able to afford an upgrade in this regard.

I was talking to one of my buddies (an x-band member) of whom owns a semi/professional recording studio, He basically told me that Im going to be loving the upgrade. in terms of audio quality and more flexibility in terms of getting my music out and about with an updated pro tools if i decide to go that route.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:16 AM

those drivers did not On my new computer FYI
Old 11-26-2015, 10:24 AM

I agree that the Clarett thunderbolt interfaces looks pretty promising.

Have only heard the 8Pre and i think it was a really good sound for the price point. Next up would be Apollo Quad and Apollo 8P which are almost double the price and if you don't plan on buying the worlds most expensive plugins <UA> and use the DSP on those Quads the Clarett will be a great alternative for sure!

Let us know how you get on and if you need any help going forward

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-27-2015, 03:13 PM

thanks southside :
Old 12-20-2015, 08:03 AM

Hi, guys. I was just reading this thread, and I hope you don't mind me resurrecting it a month later.

Everything described here is very similar to my home studio situation. I'm looking to retire an old Digi002 interface, and this Clarett is looking verrrrrry sweet. My Digi002 is using Firewire 400, and I guess I've just become used to the round-trip latency. This thunderbolt action is sick! Less than 2ms latency??

My iMac is currently running OS10.7, and I'm using ProTools 10. I know that I'll need to upgrade the OS to 10.9 if I want to use the Clarett, but do you guys know if the Clarett will work with PT10? The Focusrite site talks about OS minimum specs, but there's no info anywhere about DAW compatibility.

Gotta keep reading now, bye!