Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2004, 10:09 PM

Default XLR \"Y\" cords

I'm using Digi 001 with a Presonus DigiMax. Most inputs are coming thru a Mackie 32-8 board. The analog out on the Presonus is way to noisy to route thru the board so I can include those inputs in a "real time" headpone mix (plus I don't record every single take as the set-up is also used for rehearsals). I found a company "Big Brute Cords" in Atlanta that makes Y cords with almost every possible end connection. If I split the signal from the mic I think I can have the best of both worlds (Besides another $$$ worth of cords). I can run the signal directly into each with no noise problem, but when I try to route the analog outs from one unit to the other it's noisy enough to be useless.

Anybody have any experience splitting Lo Z signals? Will I halve signal strength by parallell'ing' it? Will I increase potential for noise.

Thanks

Stainless
Sacramento, CA
Old 06-27-2004, 10:50 PM

Default Re: XLR \"Y\" cords

I've use dthe Digimax many times and never had noise issues with it. I suggest taking it back and ahving it checked out, something is wrong with it, or your gain staging is way off. The unit is very quiet.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:48 AM

I agree with having your unit checked. However, to answer your question: you should have no problem splitting a signal using a Y-cable. It's only in combining signals that you can't use a Y-cable. I use this method all the time when gathering mono sound effects with my portable DAT. Remember to only send phantom power from one source (as a safety measure).

"I bent my wookie"
Old 07-08-2004, 06:08 PM

Using a Y cable, raising the gain on one board can lower the gain on the other board. If you don't change your gains much, this shouldn't be a problem. To get around this, you need a mic splitter transformer for each line you are splitting.