Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2013, 09:15 AM

Default Re: New Avid live console announced: S3L!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
This is what Live Needs!!! I'm surprised no one have thought of this before. My question is though, would you be able to use more than one control surface?
One surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Steel View Post
This looks to me like the first offering in a new "next generation" Venue line.

I like that it has the new HDX technology. I realize that the AAX plugin situation is still spotty, but the included plugins look to be sufficient for my needs - so is not a huge issue for me where it might be for some.

I like the modular approach where there is the ability to mix and match the engine, I/O, and surface to your needs.

But I do not like the S3 surface. It does not come close to being a replacement for any of the "classic" Venue surfaces. I must conclude that I am not the target audience for that product. But give me a control surface that is similar to the Profile in terms of fader count and user interface, and I will want to buy it.

Too bad something like that won't be available in the time frame we have for replacing our tired analog console.
You are right, this is the first of new generation desks and it should be taken as it is, a product priced just below SC48. That makes it "the baby" so it's not targeted to Profile users, even though for me, there are number of features nicer. I would say Profile is still, and will be a powerful tool, nowhere near obsolete piece of equipment. It still gives you 96 inputs if needed, can have DSP expanded, will run Waves, TC Electronic, SoundToys and other very nice TDM plugins that most likely will not be AAX DSP anytime soon, possibly never. And then there is rider friendliness. Profile will still be accepted for a long time.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:40 PM

There seems to be no 'Fat Channel' How does one get to the eq's, dynamics and such? Just with the mouse?
8 gig ram
FW Drives (Multiple)
eSATA Drives (Multiple)

[email protected]
Old 05-30-2013, 04:46 PM

I will second not liking the S3L surface. It is hard to look at compared to the other live consoles that using varying colors to define a section on the desk. For live sound you need to be able to get to EQ, dynamics, and sends quickly. I am sure this board makes sense to a studio guy that is use to things being displayed horizontally on a scribble strip, but there is a reason that the Soundcraft Si expression, Behringer X32, and other considerably less expensive consoles have the EQ and dynamics in a defined section that is easily identifiable and never changes. I am not sure if they think that everyone in live sound mixes with a mouse... Anyway, I am not inclined to want to mix on it for live sound. Maybe they can make a small EQ/Dynamics "sidecar" that sits next to the S3L similar to a usb keypad for laptops.

Maybe, once they get a video up on the workflow for the desk I could be persuaded otherwise.

I would really like to see a workflow as a monitor desk. To be able to get 64 inputs into a setup this small with 64 channels of recording capability at the $28k price is a no-brainer. Especially, if the workflow on monitors is pretty fluid. To get a monitor desk setup at our church to handle the number of inputs we would need would cost twice as much as the S3L setup. Second the small form factor would be very accommodating for tight stage setups.

It's a little disappointing to see a stage box with only 16 inputs analog and 8 analog outputs. Seems like more of a revenue driver than anything else. (I know they are in the business to make money. I am fine with that.) I guess there is a market out there for small bands with less than 16 inputs that have an extra $18k?? But you can get a Midas Pro2 w/ 48in and 16out for around $16k.

On a positive note, the modular concept is awesome! It will be great to see how the AVB protocol interfaces with house processors, amps and speaker boxes Does anyone know how the network is suppose to be setup? Run everything through a layer3 network switch or you can only daisy chain the boxes? It appears that there are only two network ports on each device except for the E3 meaning that everything would have to run in a daisy-chain to achieve redundancy, unless it ran through a switch.

Does the setup interface with the Remote Stage48? I am guessing that it is the same AVB protocol and should be able to. Can the Remote Stage48 and the S3L boxes live on the same network? How about interfacing with myMix?

Just my thoughts.....
Old 05-31-2013, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceK View Post
There seems to be no 'Fat Channel' How does one get to the eq's, dynamics and such? Just with the mouse?
Controls appear on horizontal encoders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrison.ece05 View Post
I will second not liking the S3L surface. It is hard to look at compared to the other live consoles that using varying colors to define a section on the desk. For live sound you need to be able to get to EQ, dynamics, and sends quickly. I am sure this board makes sense to a studio guy that is use to things being displayed horizontally on a scribble strip, but there is a reason that the Soundcraft Si expression, Behringer X32, and other considerably less expensive consoles have the EQ and dynamics in a defined section that is easily identifiable and never changes. I am not sure if they think that everyone in live sound mixes with a mouse... Anyway, I am not inclined to want to mix on it for live sound. Maybe they can make a small EQ/Dynamics "sidecar" that sits next to the S3L similar to a usb keypad for laptops.

Maybe, once they get a video up on the workflow for the desk I could be persuaded otherwise.

I would really like to see a workflow as a monitor desk. To be able to get 64 inputs into a setup this small with 64 channels of recording capability at the $28k price is a no-brainer. Especially, if the workflow on monitors is pretty fluid. To get a monitor desk setup at our church to handle the number of inputs we would need would cost twice as much as the S3L setup. Second the small form factor would be very accommodating for tight stage setups.

It's a little disappointing to see a stage box with only 16 inputs analog and 8 analog outputs. Seems like more of a revenue driver than anything else. (I know they are in the business to make money. I am fine with that.) I guess there is a market out there for small bands with less than 16 inputs that have an extra $18k?? But you can get a Midas Pro2 w/ 48in and 16out for around $16k.

On a positive note, the modular concept is awesome! It will be great to see how the AVB protocol interfaces with house processors, amps and speaker boxes Does anyone know how the network is suppose to be setup? Run everything through a layer3 network switch or you can only daisy chain the boxes? It appears that there are only two network ports on each device except for the E3 meaning that everything would have to run in a daisy-chain to achieve redundancy, unless it ran through a switch.

Does the setup interface with the Remote Stage48? I am guessing that it is the same AVB protocol and should be able to. Can the Remote Stage48 and the S3L boxes live on the same network? How about interfacing with myMix?

Just my thoughts.....
I'm too a bit afraid how the controlling will be, but I try to be open-minded and trust these guys, that they actually tried to mix on it and it was OK

Also system being modular will kind of hint us, that there might come other components that can be swapped out Lets not forget this is the baby we are looking at right now.

BTW, the stage box is not just 16/8 analog, it jas AES too. And again system being modular, I think this is a great way for us to only pay for what we need. So if my channel count never exceeds 32 inputs but is pretty much always over 16 I can get the two-rack setup and will not be paying for mic pres I don't need (like If I did a fixed 48 input desk). I would enjoy more outputs though, so I might be forced to use copper snake to send some more output channels to stage when doing In-Ears/monitors from FOH, but that's not too often and 16 outs on stage can still go a long way.

Here is one of the first videos, Sheldon is showing the system: http://youtu.be/uBkjhp-Bt3w
Old 06-05-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristo Kotkas View Post
a product priced just below SC48.
In Australia, at least, it's roughly $4000, or 17%, cheaper than an SC48. As a small sound company with existing copper infrastructure, I'd probably buy another SC48 over this.

Quote:
That makes it "the baby" so it's not targeted to Profile users, even though for me, there are number of features nicer.
Then who is it targeted to? Assuming it's targeted at people who want smaller portable desks, Allen and Heath's are half the price of these, and that includes 80 metres of cable.

If it's truly targeting people who are doing fly dates, is there that big of a market of groups that have the budget to fly in audio engineers but not hire their preferred audio desk locally?

Quote:
I would say Profile is still, and will be a powerful tool, nowhere near obsolete piece of equipment.
The problem a few people I know are having is that for venues, and some companies, that bought a Profile when they were launched, is that they're now getting budgets for a new desk. They're not going to buy another Profile because it's design is so old, but have to spend the money they have in the next short period. They want to stay with Avid but they haven't released a new frame in the same market as the Profile...whereas other companies have released one, if not several. The engineers who like Avid are having a hard battle to convince them to not go another option.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:33 PM

All Digital FOH to Monitor Split option w/ S3L????
Old 06-05-2013, 08:34 PM

... I mean a traditional Monitors/House split but all digital...
Old 06-05-2013, 10:04 PM

I feel like they would need to be able to expand this with another control. I understand this is the "Baby", but I say one or two extra. It is EuCON, and Avid can move a lot of units that way. However, this will still be a great system.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 PM

There's a short new Sweetwater video about this. It may answer a few more questions that may or may not have been answered. Looks very interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=EvkzrviZKj8
Old 06-06-2013, 09:51 AM

This console is awesome. Good work Avid.
But for live applications it would be almost neccesary to have the possibility to connect and operate with 2 surfaces at the same time...
The competition offers this also on "baby" consoles so this is no excuse...
If it is possible please add this in the future...