Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2015, 09:47 PM

Default No output reckognition on channels 5/6

Just replaced my Mobo and resetting everything up in Pro Tools. Had to reload whole system. I have all tracks routed to a mix buss 1 and 2, then the mix-buss to Master Fader which is 5/6 out. So the 5/6 out are all grayed out and no audio is going to the master fader or out of the speakers.

Went into i/o and properties and everything looks good as far as I can tell.
What am I missing here? Kinda hard to explain so if you need all my system info and whatnot just let me know. But think it might be because I forgot to set some routing in Pro Tools itself.

Thanks for your help
Old 03-23-2015, 05:14 AM

Default Re: No output reckognition on channels 5/6

Hi,

The Master Fader in PT only controls physical outputs or buss pairs .
If you have physical outputs 1 and 2 connected to your speakers, and assign a Master to 1 and 2, it will work.
You will notice that there is only an "ouput" selection on the Master.

Give a few more details on what you are trying to accomplish.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:32 PM

Yeah I assigned 5/6 to monitors. And have the master fader setup for output 5/6. But they are all greyed out and no sound is going to the master fader. On the mixbus sound is coming in and have the outs sent to 5/6 which the master fader is also sending out on channels 5/6(the monitors on my HD 192 Motu are hooked up and are on channels 5/6. All the tracks are sent to the mixbus, then mixbus to master fader. On the edit window everything is set up correctly it looks like. But for some reason the master fader is not working sending audio to the monitors. So no sound is coming out of the monitors. Did I forget to set something up in Peripherals or I/O menu?

Just want the sound to work basically.

Ps. Sound works fine using the Motu 192 and monitors for regular Windows things, like surfing internet, playing games, watching youtube, etc. It's just Pro Tools that is the issue here.

Last edited by dairyman3833; 03-23-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:17 PM

In case anyone needs my system info here it is, and was recently benchmarked with positive results with the new Mobu and Ram.

Asus-M5a97 R 2.0 Mobo
AMD- FX 8350
Noctua Nd 14 Cpu Fan
16 gb Kingston Fury 1600 Ram
Sapphire Raedeon R9 290x Tri-OC GPU, automatic Optimization for my system via the AMD software
1100 watt PSU
Motu 424 Pcie sound card-comes with Cuemix(operating software)and drivers all up to date.
Motu HD 192 Interface
Running Windows 7 64 Ultra
And I close all other programs when running PT.
If you need any more info just let me know and I'll see what I can do to get it to you.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:00 AM

Hi,

You are sending all your channels to "mixbus", which I presume is output 1 and 2.
Set the Master Fader to "mixbus".
Plug your speakers into 1-2.
(You actually don't need a master fader)

So,
You are plugging output 5-6 into your monitors?

Is your MOTU box even being seen by Protools?
If the 5-6 outputs are greyed out, go to setup, I/O, Outputs and press the default button.
That will make sure everything shows up correctly for your interface.
(I have seen a lot of people struggle with this, and it turns out they don't even have more than 2 outputs)

Remember, The Master Fader in protools can only be set to control a pair of outputs/busses. You can't route between channels with it. It is a totally different animal than an analog mixer.
You can use it to trim signal going to those pairs or insert post fader pluggins.
You probably want to route your tracks to an Aux track. (And use it as a master)

Get up and running before showing any master faders.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:06 AM

OK....
I just noticed you said the tracks were routed to bus pairs 1-2.

After you verify that ProTools is seeing your Motu box, you will need to set up an Aux track to accept bus 1-2 as input, Main mix or output 1-2 as output.
Plug your speakers into output 1-2.

Am I correct about the bus pairs 1-2?

Which version of PT do you have?
Regular Native?
HDX?
HD Native?

Most importantly, is your interface compatible and showing up?
Old 03-24-2015, 02:16 PM

Yeah Pro tools is seeing the Motu HD 192 with the 424 card.
Yes all tracks are going to mixbuss 1/2.
Then was trying to send mixbus 1/2 to Master Fader and send Master Fader to output 5/6(which my montiors are plugged into on all my mixes so don't really want to switch this would be a pain in the ass, if I can avoid it)
Yeah output 5/6 is to monitors.
Also my interface/monitors work fine with Windows and internet/games/movies.

PT version 10 the very latest update, came out March 24th I believe 10.3.10
Regular PT Native-Non HD no HDX cards.

My Interface is showing up.
Don't know if I mentioned this before but I had this system working perfectly before my Mobo bit the dust and had to get new one, then that caused me to have to re-install OS and everything on my C drive.

Oh and I put my plugins on my C drive as well, not sure if I should be putting them on another drive, have plenty of HD's.

Just noticed your the same dude...ha.

So I should set up an additional aux track to accept my mixbuss and do like a Main mixbuss. Say 1st mixbuss is 1/2 all tracks going to that, then send 1/2 mixbuss to 2/3 Main mixbuss, then send 2/3 main mixbuss to Master?
I'm kinda confused I guess. I was taught to use a Master Fader back in the day so have always used it. But **** is changing and I've been slacking for 3yrs or so.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:48 PM

Hi,

Forget about sending things to different busses.
Let's get your outputs 5-6 working.

Again, go to setup, I/O, outputs.
If the outputs are greyed out or are not there, press the "default" button.
That should make them appear as valid outputs.

I know this seems a little confusing, but you cannot route to different bus or output pairs using ProTools master faders.
They are simply for turning the level up and down for whatever output/bus pairs that you assign them to. You will notice that they have no input assignment.
Think of it this way....
Every hardware output pair and software bus pair have a Master Fader. You choose to show it or not.
All that fader does is boost or trim volume associated with that pair and you can insert post fader plugins on it.
It is not like a master on an analog board.

If you press the default in the I/O setup and the outputs show up, create a single or stereo audio track and set its output to output 5-6.
When you run audio on that track, the meters should respond and it should play back fine through you speakers.

Get to that point and then get into submixes and more sophisticated routing.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:37 PM

Lmao...Yeah it was something simple. But never seen it before.
For some reason instead of having out 1-12 it had Analog outs 1-12 and regular outs 1-12 guess those are digital?
So had the outs on the regular digital ones instead of Analog. Well I guess they are digital, don't really know never dealt with this before as this interface is new. Had to sell my old Digidesign TDM system a few years ago. Just got back into but the new Avid stuff is out of my price point at present.
But I gotta say the actual recordings I did sound pretty damn good without any mixing. Almost like they were already mixed. Way better at actual recording than mixing and dealing with digital busses and whatnot. haha.
Thanx for your help man.

I forgot how do you write some of the plugins to the wav? Say 10 guitar tracks are routed to buss 1/2 and I want to write all plugs on the guitar tracks and the buss plugs on 1/2 permanantly to free up space on my cpu. How do I do that? Or should I start a new thread?

Also wanted to know if I can record tracks at 44/1(it's what I did with the album I'm working on) and then upsample them to say 48 or hell 192. Is that possible? And then write some plugins on them at say 192 then down sample again to 48 or 44.1 to finish mixing? Want to keep it sounding normal though not like chipmunks. I remember doing it a while ago, but can't remember how it's done.
Or should I start a new thread?
Old 03-25-2015, 07:40 AM

Hi,

You can buss all of the guitar tracks to a stereo audio track using bus pairs 1-2 or 3-4 or whatever.
Set the input of the audio track to the same bus pair and hit record.
That will print everything to a manageable stereo track.
Disable all of the original tracks afterward.

In 2015, there is no real need to upsample to a higher rate that isn't a big can of worms.