How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2013, 11:23 AM

Default C24 End of Life

Hi guys

Im one of the unlucky Control24 owner, watching out for a equivalent new controller. I know theres an other thread in which the anger of some control24 users is discussed. Im just disappointed that the eol is just 6years after salesstop and the fact that the console first was listed as unsupported but may work and now it doesnt work at all.
Either way... For me there are 2 pieces of gear on the market which are closest to the control 24(if you know something else, let me know): The C24 and the SSL Matrix.
Some Avid Resellers have Console Trade-In-Offers where you get a C24 3000$ cheaper. thats nice! So i can bring my Control24 back to the same price ebay had it before PT11 was released...

But and now there's the point this thread belongs to and its just a simple question:
When is the End of Life Date of the C24?

In the Knowledge Base is nothing....See here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/KB_Render_...EA0&lang=en_US
All possible Devies are listed but not the C24.... if i would upgrade, i dont want to spend 7000$ for a new controller which only lasts 6years (like the Control24).
Even if there are no essential changes (a mixer is a mixer and stays a mixer forever, even if i control it by remote). Keep in mind that every console-change makes it neccessary to change the studio furniture, cabling, and so on... as well, i dont want to do this every 6years.

So Avid please dont anger the Control24 Users twice, publish the EOL and we can decide if we want to buy Avid Controllers in the future or not
Old 08-12-2013, 12:17 PM

Default Re: C24 End of Life

I'm going out on a limb and saying if it's not listed then there is now active schedule for Final Sale Date or consequently End of Support.

if the C24 fits your needs and budget then buy one and you know that you'll have at absolute bear minimum 5 years of usage out of it and that's assuming they take an unprecedented step and decide today that they are not selling the C24 ever again.

I would guess that you'd probably have at least 7 years before end of support is reached and probably a whole lot longer until it actually fails to work.

My 2cents.
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 08-12-2013, 01:34 PM

C24 will probably work for a long long time considering PT 11 looks like the biggest structural change they've made since PT3.

That said, if it were me, I'd hold off to see what new mid and high-end Eucon controllers show up. There's a giant void of new products in their lineup I can't imagine won't be getting filled pretty soon now that they've released PT11.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:24 PM

Bob's right IMO. Look at the SL3 for clues on what to expect.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:24 PM

I'm in agreement with Bob, also...

As I have noted on here before, I feel that everything that made the "jump" to 64-bit will probably be around for awhile, as it was the jump to 64-bit that required the driver rewrites in the first place...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 08-13-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudmusic View Post
Either way... For me there are 2 pieces of gear on the market which are closest to the control 24(if you know something else, let me know): The C24 and the SSL Matrix.
Couple of things to keep in mind: the SSL Matrix is about $23,000 US, has no preamps and is only 16 channel. The C24 is $10,000 US with 16 preamps and 24 channel.

QAPLA!
Old 08-13-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Couple of things to keep in mind: the SSL Matrix is about $23,000 US, has no preamps and is only 16 channel. The C24 is $10,000 US with 16 preamps and 24 channel.
The two units aren't comparable really. The SSL is a summing mixer and outboard gear router/switcher in addition to being a DAW controller. And since we only have 10 fingers, the number of channels a controller has doesn't amount to much IMO!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
The two units aren't comparable really. The SSL is a summing mixer and outboard gear router/switcher in addition to being a DAW controller. And since we only have 10 fingers, the number of channels a controller has doesn't amount to much IMO!!
It's not just as you say but also a fairly decent front end for small studios. To say because we only have 10 fingers we don't need more controllers than that is disingenous at best. Elsewise why would Icons or other controllers have more than that? The more controllers the less you have to scroll through to put your channels up on the surface.

QAPLA!